Best Router for Gargoyle

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tals

Best Router for Gargoyle

Post by tals »

Hi

I currently have a Netgear 3700 v2 which is ok but I do wonder if it is lagging behind particularly on wifi performance. 5Ghz seems very poor though that maybe a Gargoyle issue. Wifi is ok but as pretty much the whole house is wifi (Now TV/Chromecasts/Pcs etc) are all on

What is considered to be the best router that Gargoyle can be used on?

Tals
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

Volaris

Re: Best Router for Gargoyle

Post by Volaris »

Just keep in mind 5GHz will always be poor compared to 2.4GHz. Higher frequency spectrum is weaker at range and penetration (assuming same transmit power).

In an unrelated note, this also happens in mobile networks. Mobile networks that own and use lower frequency spectrum 700-900MHz have a huge advantage in rural areas and in building coverage compared to networks that only have 1800-2100MHz spectrum.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

mates

Post by mates »

i have also WNDR 3700v2 - and I mus confirm that wifi is pour ... compared to previous ASUS WL-500W.

any info would be great, because i am planing to buy new router within half year

tals

Post by tals »

Volaris wrote:Just keep in mind 5GHz will always be poor compared to 2.4GHz. Higher frequency spectrum is weaker at range and penetration (assuming same transmit power).

In an unrelated note, this also happens in mobile networks. Mobile networks that own and use lower frequency spectrum 700-900MHz have a huge advantage in rural areas and in building coverage compared to networks that only have 1800-2100MHz spectrum.
Understood and I probably should have made it clear the 5ghz isn't that critical but a range of one room does seem a tad short. The wifi I suspect isn't that great either though and I could do better - hence wanting to know what is considered the best in Gargoyle world.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I personally use the WNDR3800.
It's a Wireless-N capable device, plenty of flash storage lots of ram. Should support gargoyle for years to come.
Bit on the expensive end of things and it is no longer being produced but good deals on eBay.

The WDR3600 with external storage enabled is sworn by by many members also.

And of course the gigabit router in the gargoyle store.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tals

Post by tals »

Looking at those two routers they don''t seem that dissimilar to the 3700 - my gut feel is you wouldn't see that much difference between any of these 3 unfortunately for wireless

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That is probably correct.

ispyisail is a big fan of using gargoyle as just a gateway that manages QOS and Quotas etc and getting a seperate wireless access point device.
This approach while more expensive is going to get you the best wifi performance I expect.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

+1

OpenWRT/Gargoyle has a history of shaky wifi performance especially in congested wifi areas (my opinion).

OpenWRT/Gargoyle as a plain router (no wifi) is rock solid.

If you a commercial set-up or need maximum up time use

Gargoyle Router

+

UniFi

I've had close to a year uptime

Gargoyle uptime

RichMD

Post by RichMD »

ispyisail wrote:+1

OpenWRT/Gargoyle has a history of shaky wifi performance especially in congested wifi areas (my opinion).

OpenWRT/Gargoyle as a plain router (no wifi) is rock solid.

If you a commercial set-up or need maximum up time use

Gargoyle Router

+

UniFi

I've had close to a year uptime

Gargoyle uptime
I still have a NetGear 3700 V1 that I am not currently using since I bought the Linksys 1900AC V1 - back when I bought into all the hype...
I also have Cat 6 ethernet to various spots in my 2-level house.
What config (AP vs wired repeater vs router and firmwares) would you suggest if using both?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

With the unifi radio I use stock/OEM firmware

With the gargoyle router (when not using wifi) just about any firmware will work well