DMZ and UPNP together

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

cnam

DMZ and UPNP together

Post by cnam »

Hi,

I wonder if I enabled DMZ to my computer, do I still benefit from UPNP (for Live Messenger etc?)

P.S. The new Fon Flash tool is so great! There is no need to catch the 2 seconds RedBoot on my Fonera+ manually now! Thanks for the work!

alenhoff

Re: DMZ and UPNP together

Post by alenhoff »

why run both? personally i don't use dmz. its to open for my taste, especially with all the problems online anyway. upnp however i don't trust either since its not really hard to get passed. i prefer to setup my own port forwarding and only enable with when i'm using that particular program or service. just my 2 cents though, everyone has reasons for different things. are you having problems with upnp or are you just not wanting to have to set up port forwarding for any programs that don't support upnp. i would think that if theres a port setup for a specific machine that the router would obey that rule although i have never tried it. i'm interested to know it myself now though just for future knowledge.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

It didn't work before, but it does now... I just uploaded new bleeding edge firmware.

alenhoff: You're right, there are security issues associated with these features. That's why they are inactive by default. This is much like the safety catch on a gun. Keeping these features inactive by default will protect people from accidentally putting themselves at risk. However, if someone wants to shoot themselves in the foot, I see it as my job to ensure their transition to a sedentary lifestyle is as straightforward as possible.

alenhoff

Post by alenhoff »

I agree with that as well.

Statix

Post by Statix »

Is there actually any reason to run both DMZ and UPnP at the same time? If your device is on a DMZ, that would mean all your ports are already being forwarded to said device right? Thus, why would you need UPnP to open up anything?

What's strange is that I have my Playstation 3 console manually set to turn OFF UPnP. Yet, I strangely still see a single UPnP entry for that console in the Gargoyle web interface. I've used DD-WRT before, and don't recall seeing any unexpected or false UPnP entries being reported from the PS3 console before; this is a strangeness that I am first experiencing with Gargoyle.
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - Gargoyle 1.6.1