Documentation refresh

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

nworbnhoj

Re: Documentation refresh

Post by nworbnhoj »

pbix wrote:I think you may have the justification for this scenario backwards.
Yes - I have it backwards. How would you setup Gargoyle for a gamer?
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Lantis wrote:I can provide my own user experience for gaming setup if you like?
Yes please

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

tapper wrote:It made me think of some books i red one time, by Robert J Sawyer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWW_Trilogy
I have not read WWW_Trilogy but funny you should mention it ... the reason I have time for Gargoyle doco is because I am stuck with my project and need to do something easy to let my brain cool down. Maybe my problem is those pesky US folk (hope so).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

so for some reason i couldn't register to edit the wiki. tried about 20 different captchas and still couldn't pass lol.

i'll write it here and maybe someone else can push it to the wiki?
Suggest it goes under the "Common Scenarios" page with the heading "Gargoyle for Gamers"

Scenario: A gamer, living with family who don't understand that every youtube video, every facebook refresh, every google search uses bandwidth and can cause you frustrating lag spikes.

Objective: Play games that rely on low ping times without worrying about mum/dad/the family pet causing you to lag and miss those delicious headshots/skill casts etc.

Assign Static IPs
Assign a fixed static IP address to each device (mobile, laptop, tablet etc) and keep the static IPs for each person together in a group.

Gargoyle - Connection - DHCP

DHCP
☑ LAN DHCP Server Enabled
DHCP range
Start 192.168.1.100
End: 192.168.1.249
Static IP's
Printer 192.168.1.2
Dad-laptop 192.168.1.50
Dad-mobile 192.168.1.51
Mum-tablet 192.168.1.60
Mum-mobile 192.168.1.61
Sister-laptop 192.168.1.70
Sister-mobile 192.168.1.71
Sister-tablet 192.168.1.72
Gamer-pc 192.168.1.80
Gamer-mobile 192.168.1.81

Guarantee performance for the gamer

Limit the performance impact of the rest of the family on the gamer, without choking the families connection (we want to give ourselves an advantage, but not cause dinner table arguments!)

Before giving examples of real-world settings, lets talk about how to calculate those settings.
A simple example we can begin with is Teamspeak 3, a Voice Chat client used by many gamers, and crucial to the success of the team.
Connect to the server you will be speaking on the majority of the time, and look at the connection address. What is the port that is being used by the server? Write this down. In my example the port is 9987.
Connect to the channel you will be speaking in the majority of the time. Check the properties of the channel, you want to find the information on "Codec Quality", the "Estimated Bitrate". If you will be speaking in multiple channels, use the number for the highest quality (highest number). In my case this is 9.23KiB/s.
The upload calculation is easy. When you speak, you transmit your own voice to the server, which then retransmits it to all the clients. So your upload is just 9.23KB/s x 8 = 73.84Kbps. Keep this for later.
The download calculation is a bit less simple. You need to know how many people you will be listening to at once. Lets say you are playing a team game, and there will be 4 others on your team. IF everyone speaks at once, then the maximum you will be listening to is 4 x 9.23KB/s x 8. During intense fights, it is not unlikely that everyone may be yelling at once, so it is usually best to estimate this at the maximum number. If you were in a channel where there were spectators, you might have your 4 team mates speaking at once and 2 spectators at the same time. Use your best judgement here.
In our example we will assume only our team mates will be speaking so 9.23KB/s x 4 x 8 = 295.36Kbps.

Gargoyle - Firewall - QoS (Upload)

☑ Enable Quality of Service (Upload Direction)

QoS (Upload) – Service Classes
Service Class Name: TS3
Percent Bandwidth at Capacity: = 73.84/Total Upload Bandwidth
Bandwidth minimum: 73.84
Bandwidth maximum: No

QoS (Upload) – Classification Rules
Source IP: 192.168.1.80
Destination Port(s): 9987
Transport Protocol: UDP
Set Service Class To: TS3

Gargoyle - Firewall - QoS (Download)
☑ Enable Quality of Service (Download Direction)

QoS (Download) – Service Classes
Service Class Name: TS3
Percent Bandwidth at Capacity: = 295.36/Total Download Bandwidth
Bandwidth minimum: 295.36
Minimize Round Trip Times (RTT): Minimize RTT (ping times) when active

QoS (Download) – Classification Rules
Source Port(s): 9987
Destination IP: 192.168.1.80
Set Service Class To: TS3

QoS (Download) – Active Congestion Control
☑ Enable active congestion control (Download Direction)

Apply these settings, and check that your data is being classed as TS3 in the Status - QOS Distribution pie graphs.

Now we are going to setup our rules and classes for Games. This example will focus on DOTA 2.

Do some research on what your game requires to upload and download. You can estimate this by playing a full game, dividing your total download by the length of the game. If you have plenty of bandwidth, you can be a bit liberal with your estimations (rather go over than under). If the bandwidth is a bit tight, then try to estimate accurately, but give yourself a small amount of headroom.
For DOTA 2, i have over estimated the download at 1024kbps (it approaches this number if everyone is using in game voice chat, but its rarely this large). I have over estiamted the upload at 240kbps.
Once you have setup all the rules, you can monitor the "Load" values and see if you can lower the numbers.
We also need to know what Ports our game uses. Dota uses 27005 (like a lot of steam games).

Using these assumptions, lets create some service classes and rules.

Gargoyle - Firewall - QoS (Upload)

☑ Enable Quality of Service (Upload Direction)

QoS (Upload) – Service Classes
Service Class Name: Games
Percent Bandwidth at Capacity: = 240/Total Upload Bandwidth
Bandwidth minimum: 240

QoS (Upload) – Classification Rules
Source IP: 192.168.1.80
Source Port(s): 27005
Set Service Class To: Games

Gargoyle - Firewall - QoS (Download)
☑ Enable Quality of Service (Download Direction)

QoS (Download) – Service Classes
Service Class Name: Games
Percent Bandwidth at Capacity: = 1024/Total Download Bandwidth
Bandwidth minimum: 1024
Minimize Round Trip Times (RTT): Minimize RTT (ping times) when active

QoS (Download) – Classification Rules
Destination Port(s): 27005
Destination IP: 192.168.1.80
Set Service Class To: Games

QoS (Download) – Active Congestion Control
☑ Enable active congestion control (Download Direction)

Launch up a game of dota and see if your traffic is put into the "Games" class. If it is, then you are up to testing it under real world scenarios. Open a few youtube videos to saturate your connection and see if your ping stays REASONABLE. When the system is working well, you will get a small spike, but then it will activate and act to bring your ping down to a reasonable level.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

wow - that is like a whole manual for gamers!

I will put it up there - but I think that I will have to do a reorg and dedicate a whole page to each scenario - rather than just one long page, which was becoming unwieldy before Lantis chipped in!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

haha woops!

i kind of wanted to make it in depth because its a situation i was very familiar with.
"can you please not use the internet for a little bit its making it difficult to play". it caused much frustration and anger in the house.

When i first suggested gargoyle to the family, they were sceptical in that it would only benefit me, and make the internet unusable for them. I convinced them that it would be a fair system (with a bias towards me while i play), and they let me do it as long as i made the investment in buying the router myself.

Ever since i got gargoyle up and running, we've had no troubles at all. After a month, the family reimbursed me for 50% of the router cost :D. I'd like to give back to the community for this very reason :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Done here http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... static_ips

Please check for errors are there was a fair bit of cutting&pasting etc

Also, note that I have been putting the settings up in a table that closely mimics the layour of the Gargoyle config screens. I note that Lantis put up the setting in the order that they are applied. For example make a QoS service class before using it in a QoS classification rule (duh). I have noted this above the tables

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Lantis wrote: I'd like to give back to the community for this very reason :)
And my story is Household with Teenagers and capped monthly download http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... -teenagers.

I happen to think that Gargoyle is a tremendous development; not only because it solved a problem for me; but because it is open source; and because the ISP's will never promote this capability (really PMO). I also value the TOR plugin very much.

I have been trying to think of ways to get the Gargoyle message out to other folk in rural situations (where bandwidth is scarce and expensive). Lantis, I wonder if you have a way of getting the Gargoyle message out to gamers?

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

There are a couple of new worked Scenarios for you to check for errors etc.

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... _scenarios

Hopefully these will be useful to refer some of the common forum questions to.

Can you think of any others?

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Can someone (who knows what they are talking about) please check the section about bridging an ADSL modem please (I have never done this)

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... dem_router