advice on whether to install or not

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

bobbybuilder59

advice on whether to install or not

Post by bobbybuilder59 »

Hi , Im looking for some advice on whether I should use Gargoyle on my tplink 3600 router,
At the moment we are on virgin 100 mb using there superhub 2 as a modem, I have just upgraded to tplinks latest firmware.
In our house we have on wifi,
2 windows laptops for genaral browsing.
4 Android Phones.
2 Android Tablets.
1 Chromecast.
On wired we have ,
1 HTPC used for torrent downloading, streaming movies and music.
1 Gaming pc.
1 pc used for netflix and general browsing.
2 xboxes.
Now they are not all on together but my sons Gaming PC and my HTPC when on together slows internet down to 1mb and has to be rebooted to get things moving again.
So will installing gargoyle help, or do you think I should bite the bullet and invest in a better router.

tapper

Re: advice on whether to install or not

Post by tapper »

Yes install i have a TP-Link wdr3600 and 50 meg vergin. it works grate for me and i torent and my suns game on pc and xbox. runs nice and smooth on standard QOS settings.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

bobbybuilder59

Post by bobbybuilder59 »

Ok thanks, did you have any problems installing as I'm new to all this.

tapper

Post by tapper »

No mate just downloaded the file and flashed and away it went. Pleas use 1.6.2 for now there is a few bugs in 1.7.1 so far wen a new build comes out then you can flash. After flash pleas read up about setting up QOS you can set for upload and download or just upload. For most people the rules that are set up are fine but if you want to make your own you can but it can get complicated, as you mite see if you brows the forums. You will find a lot of posts on here about QOS but if you get stuck then we will try and help you out as best as we can. Good luck.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

bobbybuilder59

Post by bobbybuilder59 »

Thanks for all your advice, Im going to set some time aside this weekend to give it a go, will let you know how I get on.

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

bobbybuilder59 wrote:Thanks for all your advice, Im going to set some time aside this weekend to give it a go, will let you know how I get on.
I agree with Tapper. I own the same model and even with the latest Ispy build, everything is rock solid.

Lemme know if I can assist you in any way I can.