Poor wireless speeds, newbie city

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Brian

Poor wireless speeds, newbie city

Post by Brian »

I'm sure this is a simplistic question but I'm way out of touch with current hardware/firmware (last router I bought was a new WRT54 about 8 years ago, been using ISP supplied stuff since). I have a bastard child WNDR3800CH, Charter abused WNDR3800 (they wouldn't take it back after moving, insisted it wasn't theirs, okay :roll: ). Anyway, since it was mine to play with I decided to try and update the firmware.. I knew Tomato quite well, and had originally started with DD-WRT... but OpenWRT is the only current firmware that included the necessary naming to work with this router and I somehow followed links here.

After much frustration, I have 1.7.1 firmware loaded with the only changes being the SSID names and the IP range I use. Hard wired computers are showing the full 60/4, but my 2 laptops are stuck at 20/4. I don't really NEED more speed to the laptops, but that's not the point.

Is this simply a limitation of wireless? One is on 2.4GHz 'N' and the other is on 5GHz 'G' ~ both are within 20' of the router and show no change if I walk into the same room. There's a little bit of other wireless signal around me, but it's all Very weak signal.

Is there more info I can provide? Maybe just a link to a "Hey, I'm ignorant and here's more info" page? This is simply out of my depth of understanding.

Thanks!

CarpeNoctem

Re: Poor wireless speeds, newbie city

Post by CarpeNoctem »

I'll save you the usual reply.

Every issue you may have is infinitely better solved with screenshots. If you can provide them, I'll do my best to help ya.