New to Gargoyle in need of WLAN extension

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

pedalracer

New to Gargoyle in need of WLAN extension

Post by pedalracer »

Hi

I did some hours reading now and tried to understand as much as possible. Anyways, I dare now to ask in this forum a very basic question but this one is not clear to me and I couldnt dig into it by trying stuff with the V1.7 on my (you guess it) TP 1043WD V2.1.

Question:
What is the proper (are there several?) set up in order to extend my WLAN (source is my internet router Fritz.Box in the cellar).

At the moment I access this router via wlan. I could also use LAN but I am unsure if I would gain speed advantages or else...

I am asking and have difficulties to understand how Gargoyle works here or is to be set up since I was more than sure that I should not use the gateway option but the repeater/bridge one: Wireless Bridge ( /Repeater) + DHCP (Wireless) + Client+AP + N+G+B: Wireless N, 2.4 GHz operation mode

But all I tried this worked only partially. Gargoyle connected via WLAN to cellar router and span its own WLAN but no device (android) could connect. I went through all options here.

Then I eventually tried Gateway (default) + DCHP (wireless) + Local Network / LAN in 'cellar router's subnet + wireless mode: Client + AP (N G B 20mhZ) and all went fine.

In a nutshell could some one kind explain to me please in other words than the documentation what my proper setup should be, and perhaps what the Wireless Bridge ( /Repeater) really is meant for?

thank you very much

PS:
Since I span a second WLAN with this setup I can only access Gargoyle's GUI if I am in Gargoyle's second WLAN. Well, I think this is by design ;) However, this may impose my homelan setup. So, I should only use Wireless Mode: Client, right? (sorry can't test is right now).
Or is there some routing trick I could apply in my cellar router?