problem getting Quota working

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

drhill

problem getting Quota working

Post by drhill »

My first time posting here.
Thanks for the software!. I tried it a couple years ago to set up a wireless bridge.

My problem now is trying to set up a way to limit the internet usage of a tenant. For some time I have had a WRT54GL with Tomato providing a separate VLAN to plug in a separate router for the tenant. This was worked fine to isolate the networks but the new problem is a tenant that uses Netflix and who know what else.

So I picked up an old WRT54GS v4 and flashed it with Gargoyle 1.3.9. I read some posts that larger/new builds could be trouble with the 4 MB flash/16MB ram. So I have set the router to 192.168.1.2 and plugs it WAN port into the VLAN port of my primary router (the one hooked to the modem). On the Bandwidth Quotas page I set a quota that applies to the Entire Local Network.
Max Upload – Unlimited
Max Download – Unlimited
Max Total up+Down – limit to 30 MB
Quota reset – every week
Reset day – Monday
Reset hour – 2 am
Quoat active – Always
When exceeded – shit down all internet access

(the above if for testing, I plan to set the limit around 10 GB/week and throttle the speed to a crawl after that)

I hit the close and apply changes, and then the save changes

Then I went and watched some youtube videos. I checked the Quota Usage page and could see the % used rising. Once it hit 100%, I could keep watching videos. If I log out of the Gargoyle page and then again browse to 192.168.1.2, the log in page shows in red that 100% of the quota has been used. But I can still watch videos.

Is there a little step I am missing? Is there a problem with ver 1.3.9?

Any tips anybody can offer are appreciated.

Don

drhill

Re: problem getting Quota working

Post by drhill »

This morning, first thing I did was unplug the router, wait and then plug it back in. I fired up my laptop and when I tried to use the internet and all I got was the Gargole log in page with the message in Red that the 100% of the quota had been used.

I then logged into the router, went to the quota page and hit reset, then went to the system page and did a reboot. I expected great success, but when I tried to connect to the internet again it blocked me, quota used.

Next I unplugged and the plugged in the router again. The router still showed all the quota used. So then I deleted that quota, added a new quota and save changes and rebooted the router. This did reset the quota. Then I watched some video and the connection shutdown, shortly after the quota was reached.

So it seems the problem was as simple as needing to reboot the router after saving the quota rule changes. So it exhibits some windows behavior - reboot.

Thought I should post this as a follow up as it might help somebody someday.

I then tested with setting the up/down speed to 56 kbps after quota exceeded and that worked great. Just the solution I was looking for.

omiez

Post by omiez »

The first time i used Quota on Gargoyle i didn't know how to get it to work correctly like in your case.

Now i can tell you that it is the best option i am using every day to limit Bandwith to a secondary Router connected to my Gargoyle Router.

chaseme5

Post by chaseme5 »

Change limit to GB instead of MB. That is the problem. I made that mistake too. 30 MB is way to small for any web usage. 10GB per week should be good. Maybe you meant 30GB per week?