Gargoyle as a access point

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

SergeS

Gargoyle as a access point

Post by SergeS »

Can i configure Gargoyle as a just wifi access point, without own dhcp server, without own ip subnet? How should i do this?

nightanole

Re: Gargoyle as a access point

Post by nightanole »

Sure thats easy. Just turn off dhcp, and give the router a fixed ip address that is in the same subnet as the rest of the network. Then just plug the ethernet cable into the 4 port switch section instead of the wan section.

If you want to be slightly fancy, you can leave dhcp on, and set it to another set of numbers so you can see who/what is on wifi. So main router would have 192.168.1.100-200, and the AP could assign 300-400.

Or you can just run open wrt and make it dumb.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap

you dont have to do 90% of that.
Just give the unit an ip, setup wifi, disable dhcp, then run these commands via putty or some other telnet program:

/etc/init.d/firewall disable
/etc/init.d/firewall stop

echo "0" > /sys/devices/virtual/net/br-lan/bridge/multicast_snooping

The first command turns off the firewall, and the 2nd command gets DLNA and UPnP working.

That is how i have my network setup, a openwrt router in the attic setup like that, plugged into a gargoyle router.

SergeS

Post by SergeS »

nightanole wrote:Sure thats easy. Just turn off dhcp, and give the router a fixed ip address that is in the same subnet as the rest of the network. Then just plug the ethernet cable into the 4 port switch section instead of the wan section.
Thank you, just set it up. Seems it is working ;-).

But i have noticed the plugins are not updating, may be because of the wan interface is off and not connected. Bug? I would like to change theme to not confuse with my main router.

The other minor problem - by some reason i can not access the gargoyle admistrative page from my ipad using wifi connection, it says "too many redirects". Have tried with two browsers, native and chrome. Other devices are accessing with no problem, as far as the same ipad is able to access my main router also on the same version of gargoyle... Strange, but not really bother.

earthtorob

Post by earthtorob »

That sounds great. I was looking for something like that. I have two roommates that I share internet with and I have gotten bills where someone on the network has exceeded the 200Gig data cap by 3 fold. I figured Gargoyle could help.

Here is the problem though, I have a Pfsense box that does a lot on my network so I would like all my traffic to go through it. Could I use the Gargoyle for Wifi just for them and still use the bandwidth monitoring? And if so could I keep them on the same subnet so they could still use the network printer and have access to the file server?

I have a MythTv box set up ans stream all the Tv shows from it. I would not want that data counted to the data cap. I suppose I could put them behind the Gargoyle DHCP and add a rule to the Pfsense box to let them through. Since the DNS is local I guess Gargoyle would think it's local traffic.

Hmmm....Basically I'm not sure how it can tell the difference between local traffic and internet traffic so I don't know how to set anything up.

Thanks.

BTW, Bumping old threads is my business. :)