External subdomain to internal DNS Bind?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

LanceSteel

External subdomain to internal DNS Bind?

Post by LanceSteel »

I don't know enough about how to approach what I'm trying to do but I think my Gargoyle setup could do it so here it goes...

Currently I have a Linux box running a number of different servers (subsonic, web, seafile etc). The web interfaces for these servers are handled by my Gargoyle router which forwards those ports (80, 443 and the seafile daemon ports) to the correct internal ip address (since it's all on one computer, it's one IP address). The SSL web interfaces for those servers is accessible from the outside world via subdomains which are directed/translated via the apache web server on that same Linux machine.

What I'm want to do is add another Linux box running a dedicated mail server and I want to be able to access this new server using a subdomain just like I use to access my other servers but have Gargoyle direct any traffic and port access from that subdomain to the new Linux server. Is there a way for Gargoyle to do such a thing (like with BIND or something)? Both Linux servers would be getting port 80/443 traffic but the subdomain that would be used to access it from the outside world would be different. I don't know enough about internal DNS issues to be able to see what I'm supposed to do! Thanks in advance!

n0pin

Re: External subdomain to internal DNS Bind?

Post by n0pin »

If I understand your problem correctly, you should look into HAProxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAProxy).