The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyle?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

SergeS

The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyle?

Post by SergeS »

Seems like 2.4 GHz band is almost dead on my netgear wndr3700v2. So, i am looking for replacement. Who can recommend good router, compatible with gargoyle, with gigabit wired connections and two bands wifi?

tehpensfan

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by tehpensfan »

From first hand experience, I'd suggest the TP-Link WDR3600.
Gargoyle installs easily and it has dual band, Gigabit Ethernet, 2 x USB 2.0 and adjustable antennas and seems to go for $50-60 new round these parts.
-
1 x WRT54GL v1.1 Gargoyle 1.5.6
1 x TL-WR740N v4.23 Gargoyle 1.6.2
1 x TL-WR740N v4.26 Gargoyle 1.5.11
1 x TL-WR740N v4.26 Gargoyle 1.8.1
1 x TL-WDR3600 v1.3 Gargoyle 1.5.11

SergeS

Post by SergeS »

tehpensfan wrote:From first hand experience, I'd suggest the TP-Link WDR3600.
Gargoyle installs easily and it has dual band, Gigabit Ethernet, 2 x USB 2.0 and adjustable antennas and seems to go for $50-60 new round these parts.
Ok, thank you, will look on it. On your opinion, what is the biggest disadvantages with this router? :-)

2all: any other suggestions, please? Gonna buy it on July 4th :-)
Could anyone tell something good/bad about TP-Link WDR4300?

blueacid

Post by blueacid »

SergeS wrote:Seems like 2.4 GHz band is almost dead on my netgear wndr3700v2. So, i am looking for replacement. Who can recommend good router, compatible with gargoyle, with gigabit wired connections and two bands wifi?
What's wrong with another wndr3700?

SergeS

Post by SergeS »

blueacid wrote:
SergeS wrote:Seems like 2.4 GHz band is almost dead on my netgear wndr3700v2. So, i am looking for replacement. Who can recommend good router, compatible with gargoyle, with gigabit wired connections and two bands wifi?
What's wrong with another wndr3700?
Nothing wrong excepts:
1) I do not really want 2.4GHz band die again in few years, like my current wndr3700v2;

2) Seems like only wndr3700v3 in production now, which is not compatible with Gargoyle.

tehpensfan

Post by tehpensfan »

SergeS wrote:
Ok, thank you, will look on it. On your opinion, what is the biggest disadvantages with this router? :-)

That's a good question.
It has a larger desktop foot print.
It has a *lot* of LEDs on the front so that could be annoying depending on where it was going. I guess that's the flip side of having lots of LEDs that help you with troubleshooting ;-)
-

SergeS

Post by SergeS »

tehpensfan wrote:
SergeS wrote:

That's a good question.
It has a *lot* of LEDs on the front so that could be annoying depending on where it was going. I guess that's the flip side of having lots of LEDs that help you with troubleshooting ;-)
Footprint and LEDs are not a problem in my case. But I am still concerning about reliability/stability/bugs/wifi range with Gargoyle. Did you try both? What is your expressions on both? I have seen (on Newegg, for example) the WDR4300 has worse review rate than WDR3600, but better specs and slightly higher price. This is not clear for me...
p.s. i did not see the difference in LEDs and between these two models. And size is the same: 9.6" x 6.4" x 1.3"... What models you were talking about? :-)

tehpensfan

Post by tehpensfan »

SergeS wrote:
tehpensfan wrote:
SergeS wrote:[

That's a good question.
Footprint and LEDs are not a problem in my case. But I am still concerning about reliability/stability/bugs/wifi range with Gargoyle. Did you try both? What is your expressions on both? I have seen (on Newegg, for example) the WDR4300 has worse review rate than WDR3600, but better specs and slightly higher price. This is not clear for me...
p.s. i did not see the difference in LEDs and between these two models. And size is the same: 9.6" x 6.4" x 1.3"... What models you were talking about? :-)
On the topic of stability, my rule of thumb is to set a weekly reboot for my routers. I haven't run into any issues.
WiFi range isn't subjective but it's relative to where the router is placed in your home, neighborhood interference and where its antennas are pointing. It's a "your mileage may vary" situation.
-

SergeS

Post by SergeS »

tehpensfan wrote: On the topic of stability, my rule of thumb is to set a weekly reboot for my routers. I haven't run into any issues.
WiFi range isn't subjective but it's relative to where the router is placed in your home, neighborhood interference and where its antennas are pointing. It's a "your mileage may vary" situation.
Ok, I've got your point.

Could anyone else give some recommendations what router to look at?
I have already tp-link wdr3600 and wdr4300 in my list, looking for competitors to compare.

jdancer

Post by jdancer »

I brought a couple of Netgear WNDR3800 on eBay. I immediately flashed them to Gargoyle. No problems. I have one just using the 5Ghz band and another just 2.4Ghz. I got the WNDR3800 specifically because you can recover from a bad flash.

Zero issues.