Netgear R7000 Nighthawk

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

kingy444

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk

Post by kingy444 »

Any news on when a port of Gargoyle may be available for the Netgear R7000 ?

Looks like there is already a DD-WRT ?
http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/51 ... Fi-Router/

I love the router for being able to QoS the upstream data. ie. Netflix
But I really need ability to manage internet usage and set a quota with Gargoyle.

Believe I cannot monitor usage unless the gargoyle router is the gateway device (serving DNS & DHCP) but I want to use my R7000 as the primary device. If this is wrong please let me know.

I do currently have a WNDR3800 with gargoyle but keep having issues with it. Believe its hardware not the gargoyle software. Randomly all LAN ports fail but the wifi is fine.

drawz

Re: Netgear R7000 Nighthawk

Post by drawz »

it's not supported by openwrt, which is what gargoyle uses as a base

kingy444

Post by kingy444 »

Sorry. Thought it was dd-wrt. Had them backwards

Any idea about using a second router as a pass through device and monitoring bandwidth ?

redhoodie

Post by redhoodie »

I'm planning on getting a Gargoyle Pocket Router (or some other Gargoyle powered router) and using it as my main router, DNS, DHCP, etc and then using my Nighthawk r7000 running DDWRT as an access point. Seems a bit wasteful though.

Valerie

Post by Valerie »

redhoodie wrote:I'm planning on getting a Gargoyle Pocket Router (or some other Gargoyle powered router) and using it as my main router, DNS, DHCP, etc and then using my Nighthawk r7000 running DDWRT as an access point. Seems a bit wasteful though.

Seems so, but it's not as bad as it sounds! You can try it.