Which file to use for install

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

londo

Which file to use for install

Post by londo »

Are there any docs which tell which file of the numerous choices in the download section to use and how? I've read the "Documentation" link and "Read First" but there is nothing there and the links at the bottom to installation instructions that may actually have any info don't work.

ispyisail

Re: Which file to use for install

Post by ispyisail »

what brand of router?

londo

Post by londo »

Haven't bought one yet. I'm trying to read the docs and the forums to find out how to do it and which one to get, though the TP-Link TL-WDR3600 looks to be a favorite atm.

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

londo wrote: TP-Link TL-WDR3600 looks to be a favorite atm.
Only Version 1 does Gargoyle.

londo

Post by londo »

danymarc wrote:
londo wrote: TP-Link TL-WDR3600 looks to be a favorite atm.
Only Version 1 does Gargoyle.
Puh. Thank you for that. Didn't know.

reditburd

Post by reditburd »

TP-LINK TL-WR841ND

Right now I'm using a TP-LINK TL-WR841ND from Amazon for $30.99. I put Gargoyle on it and it's working pretty well.

londo

Post by londo »

I visited a shop close to home and found out that the version numbers for any router can not be found on the box. So I guess, the version numbers we are talking about are the firmware versions, right?

If so my question is, are the firmwares generally downgradable?

londo

Post by londo »

reditburd wrote:TP-LINK TL-WR841ND

Right now I'm using a TP-LINK TL-WR841ND from Amazon for $30.99. I put Gargoyle on it and it's working pretty well.
Ok. Thanks. That one was available as well. Price was ok ($37, Swedish taxes). Did you have to change to V5 firmware? Or was it preloaded with the "tested" version?

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

londo wrote:I visited a shop close to home and found out that the version numbers for any router can not be found on the box. So I guess, the version numbers we are talking about are the firmware versions, right?
The FW are outside every Tp-Link box, usually on one of the sides, serial number it's on same white sticker, see photo.
If you start a post on FW downgradable you will be more confuse cause the answer is yes and no, there are dif. stock FWs and Versions.
easier for you, log Tp-Link web look for the one you like and we will tell you what Ver. to buy.
subir fotos gratis

londo

Post by londo »

danymarc wrote:
londo wrote:I visited a shop close to home and found out that the version numbers for any router can not be found on the box. So I guess, the version numbers we are talking about are the firmware versions, right?
The FW are outside every Tp-Link box, usually on one of the sides, serial number it's on same white sticker, see photo.
If you start a post on FW downgradable you will be more confuse cause the answer is yes and no, there are dif. stock FWs and Versions.
easier for you, log Tp-Link web look for the one you like and we will tell you what Ver. to buy.
subir fotos gratis
Thanks! Lesson is that I have to check the boxes myself instead of trusting the guy behind the counter.

However, it seems the version -to buy- is well documented, isn't it. Problem is to find the right router having to correct version. Well, at least that maybe a problem. I have to go back to that shop and check the sticker myself.