Gaming Question (QoS)

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

andyheat

Gaming Question (QoS)

Post by andyheat »

Hello Gargoyle Forum Members,

I am new to this community, so please bare with me and my apologies in advanced if this was the wrong place/stupid question.

So my main concern at the moment is that I am unable to play League of Legends whilst having other members of the family (1-3) stream when I want to play.

I currently use the BoB-Lite router, which I believe is non-supported by Gargoyle/tomato/WRT etc(?). My router page shows that I have a 8405/1023kbps status. Speedtest shows that I have 18ms, 7MB DL and 0.7-0.8MB UL. Also, I am able to achieve speeds of 700kbs-1mb on Steam.

So my question is, if I obtain a Gargoyle-accessible router, will I be able to throttle/restrict my family members so their streams are slowed/delayed and that my gaming maintains a stable ping? Instead of my ping suffering and their stream being fine (my current state).

If this is possible, should I just go to to my local store to buy a router that is eligible for Gargoyle mod? As I am unable to find any routers under the "Shop" tab (I'm from Australia). Or is it possible to download tomato or WRT etc for my current router BoBLite? I hear Gargoyle is the best though?

Sorry for my abundant and "noobie" questions, but I'd really like to know what's possible before purchasing.

Thanks.

pbix
Developer

Re: Gaming Question (QoS)

Post by pbix »

I agree that Gargoyle is the best available solution for you.

You should read the QoS configuration guide on this site to understand more.

Gargoyle compatible routers are available from many sources. Look at the OpenWRT supported devices page. Any router which is listed there as supported AND has a number (not 'trunk" or blank) in the status column AND has at least 32MB of RAM AND has at least 8MB of flash will work.

Search for these models on Ebay for example or using Google.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

andyheat

Post by andyheat »

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Would you have any suggestions for a "best choice" in regards to the routers?

As I've heard that some models have more issues and troubles compared to others.

I usually have 2-4 devices connected;

- 1x PC
- 1x iPAD
- 2x Mobile Phone

And all 4 devices use wi-fi, so a router without wifi problems (since I'm a gamer) would be good.

Also, what do you mean by best choice?

Does that mean even if I set certain bandwidth limits and limit other device's potential speed/dl/ul limits, I may still get rises in ping/latency while gaming?

I don't want to spend money if it won't really help my only worry, which is gaming with a stable ping, whilst others have their stream throttled or what not.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I am not going to recommend a router to you other than the specs I have already told you above.

The performance of your router does not impact any of the things you are worried about. And the line speed you have is rather low so any router which matches my specs above should work just fine.

But I will say that serious gamers never use Wifi to connect their console/computer to the router. I recommend hardwired connections for that. Wifi in inherently subject to many issues that the router can do nothing about.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

andyheat

Post by andyheat »

Ok, I appreciate your answers, truly.

However, I have read that the WDR3600 and WNDR3800 are the best choices.

WDR3600 is cheaper, has a chance to brick and has better wifi(?).

WNDR360 is more expensive, has no chance of bricking (emergency reset) and has worse wifi(?).

Is this true?

I've read that the WNDR3800 is worse in terms of wifi compared to the WDR3600 due to poor signals/constant drops and faster degradation over time.

--EDIT--

Sorry forgot to add;

I read on the Gargoyle website from the compatible routers section, that the WDR3600 was v1.1. Does that mean v1.2/.3/.4/.5 etc will not work?

As you know, my devices connect via wi-fi, so wi-fi would be extremely important.

Also, I checked what you wrote above but it says the TL-WDR3600 under the status column, "trunk r33219". You wrote, if it doesn't have trunk or blank it should be fine. Does that mean this won't work and WNDR3800 is my best bet?

Thank you once again, for reading and responding, much appreciated.

If you could reply within the next 10hours that would be extremely helpful, as I intend to buy one first thing next morning.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi get a wrt160nl from ebay . I got mine from 20£ free P&P 32MB ram so should be fine for what you want
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

andyheat wrote: Also, I checked what you wrote above but it says the TL-WDR3600 under the status column, "trunk r33219".
Are you really asking me if the phrase "trunk r33219" has the work "trunk" in it? Get real..
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

andyheat

Post by andyheat »

Hey guys,

Ended up getting a WDR3600.

To keep things short and not to bore you;

1. Tried the Stock firmware with Bandwidth Control
2. Definitely helped a lot with ping
3. Still some variations though; esp when more devices are in use
4. Do you think Gargoyle will help?

I think I heard something about ping targets?

Thanks again guys.