Feature Request - HTTPS Blocking

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Statik

Feature Request - HTTPS Blocking

Post by Statik »

Hey All,

I've read all the forum topics about how blocking HTTPS is difficult, and that you cannot block HTTPS to URLs because of the encryption. So, here is my question/feature request.
Can we have the option to block HTTPS to a local IP range, as in a restriction rule?

I currently have a rule to block everything except access to certain URLs for all IPs except 20 IPs that belong to the parental devices (phones, laptops, etc.) All of the children's computers fall behind the restriction list. I'd like to just eliminate all HTTPS access for that restriction list.

Statik

throughwalls

Re: Feature Request - HTTPS Blocking

Post by throughwalls »

The firewall restrictions allow you to block https. It is under APPLICATION PROTOCOL and is labelled SSL SECURE SOCKET

It will be interesting to see if normal internet access works decently enough if you turn off SSL.

Report back with your results!

Statik

Re: Feature Request - HTTPS Blocking

Post by Statik »

I'm running an older version, it lists itself as 1.5.x. I downloaded the source and compiled it myself to get it to work on my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I don't seem to have that option. I'm hesitant to upgrade because of the trouble I ran into last time with the image not recognizing the chipset and soft-bricking the router. Has that issue been resolved?

Here is what I have to work with right now: Image

Thanks!
Statik