WDR4300 and 2GB USB Drive

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

omiez

WDR4300 and 2GB USB Drive

Post by omiez »

I managed to use a 2GB Flashdrive connected to USB Port 1 of my WDR4300 Tp-Link.

When i formatted the drive i used the standard config 25% Swap and 75% Ext4.

Now i have a 478MB Swap partition and 1369MB Ext4.

If i understood all right i can use the ext4 partition to install Plugins that does not fit into the Router. Is this Right?

About the Swap partition that is 478MB, is this size ok or is it overdimensioned?

In the Status page i can see the Swap but i never saw it used, is this normal or must i enable something to use this partition?

How would you partition the 2GB Flashdrive?

What is Exroot good for?

Thank you in advance.

feardc

Re: WDR4300 and 2GB USB Drive

Post by feardc »

omiez wrote:If i understood all right i can use the ext4 partition to install Plugins that does not fit into the Router. Is this Right?
Yup. But you have to change the plugin root in order to use it:

Code: Select all

System > Plugins > Plugin Root > /plugin_root > Choose your ext4 partition > Change Plugin Root
omiez wrote:About the Swap partition that is 478MB, is this size ok or is it overdimensioned?
Nope, the size is perfect. I have 1 GB swap with my 4 GB flash. :)
omiez wrote:In the Status page i can see the Swap but i never saw it used, is this normal or must i enable something to use this partition?
It is going to be used when router actually needs it, don't worry.
omiez wrote:How would you partition the 2GB Flashdrive?
Same way as you did.
omiez wrote:What is Exroot good for?
When you want your external USB flash to become main HDD for the system. This is useful if you want to install more additional system packages, to use your router as Linux playground box.
Gargoyle 1.6.2 @ TL-WR1043ND v1.11 + 4GB USB

omiez

Re: WDR4300 and 2GB USB Drive

Post by omiez »

Hello feardc

Thank you very much for taking your time and answering every single question this way.

I have installed Dlna in the USB drive and it is running fine.
Maybe i will use a HDD in future for better performance if needed.

One more question please.

Is there a way to install any Torrent client on Gargoyle which i can use from remote with Gui and a tutorial on how to install it?

Thanks in advance.