My Gargoyle experience, and why I am going back to OpenWrt

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Luke-Jr

My Gargoyle experience, and why I am going back to OpenWrt

Post by Luke-Jr »

I wanted to try Gargoyle because I had ported its active/download QoS to OpenWrt a number of years ago and found it to work well. This is a "killer feature" IMO, but it seems like it will likely be easier for me to port it to OpenWrt again, than use Gargoyle itself at this time. After installing Gargoyle, I was also impressed by the integrated Tor, Namecoin, and OpenNIC support (although the latter two don't work).

In attempting to configure my router how I like, I've made a list of missing features that came to mind. Most of these are already supported by OpenWrt's modular LuCI web interface (which is also much faster to save settings). It seems to me that perhaps the existing web style could be ported to LuCI to gain access to all the same modules.

Note that these feature requests are in addition to the bug reports I opened in topics of their own.

Deal-breaker:
- No IPv6 support at all! I can't use this :/

Web interface:
- Don't break Firefox's password memory
- Saving changes is rather slow

Connection:
- Missing 6in4, PPTP, etc
- WiFi missing mesh mode
- Multiple WiFi SSIDs
- Multiple VPNs
- radvd configuration

DNS:
- Option "local" to control domain name used for DHCP hosts
- Option "nonegcache"
- Ability to load dnsmasq config directory (not OpenWrt standard): --conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.local.conf.d

DHCP:
- Option "force"
- Allow shorter lease times

Tor:
- Option to route all traffic (in all-or-nothing style) through Tor *only from specific interfaces* (such as an open access point), while still routing hidden services for trusted interfaces

Dynamic DNS:
- Allow Hurricane Electric and/or Custom by default

Firewall:
- Ability to control routing between VPNs (including IP masquerading)
- Control over which ports UPnP is allowed to forward

QoS:
- Ability to share a single match/classification list; maybe make a single page/list, with an option per-match for Upload/Download/Both (similar to port forwarding's TCP/UDP/both)

SSH:
- Place to paste SSH pubkey(s)

shovon

Re: My Gargoyle experience, and why I am going back to OpenW

Post by shovon »

Is thr any easy way to control bandwidth like Gargoyle in OpenWRT?

Luke-Jr

Post by Luke-Jr »

shovon wrote:Is thr any easy way to control bandwidth like Gargoyle in OpenWRT?
It has the upload QoS stuff (which is simple), but not the download/active QoS (which is complicated and why I wanted to use Gargoyle).

henriquebelaz

Post by henriquebelaz »

Luke-Jr wrote:I wanted to try Gargoyle because I had ported its active/download QoS to OpenWrt a number of years ago and found it to work well. This is a "killer feature" IMO, but it seems like it will likely be easier for me to port it to OpenWrt again, than use Gargoyle itself at this time. After installing Gargoyle, I was also impressed by the integrated Tor, Namecoin, and OpenNIC support (although the latter two don't work).

In attempting to configure my router how I like, I've made a list of missing features that came to mind. Most of these are already supported by OpenWrt's modular LuCI web interface (which is also much faster to save settings). It seems to me that perhaps the existing web style could be ported to LuCI to gain access to all the same modules.

Note that these feature requests are in addition to the bug reports I opened in topics of their own.

Deal-breaker:
- No IPv6 support at all! I can't use this :/

Web interface:
- Don't break Firefox's password memory
- Saving changes is rather slow

Connection:
- Missing 6in4, PPTP, etc
- WiFi missing mesh mode
- Multiple WiFi SSIDs
- Multiple VPNs
- radvd configuration

DNS:
- Option "local" to control domain name used for DHCP hosts
- Option "nonegcache"
- Ability to load dnsmasq config directory (not OpenWrt standard): --conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.local.conf.d

DHCP:
- Option "force"
- Allow shorter lease times

Tor:
- Option to route all traffic (in all-or-nothing style) through Tor *only from specific interfaces* (such as an open access point), while still routing hidden services for trusted interfaces

Dynamic DNS:
- Allow Hurricane Electric and/or Custom by default

Firewall:
- Ability to control routing between VPNs (including IP masquerading)
- Control over which ports UPnP is allowed to forward

QoS:
- Ability to share a single match/classification list; maybe make a single page/list, with an option per-match for Upload/Download/Both (similar to port forwarding's TCP/UDP/both)

SSH:
- Place to paste SSH pubkey(s)
Could you please share with us how you managed to port it over to OpenWRT?

Luke-Jr

Post by Luke-Jr »

henriquebelaz wrote:Could you please share with us how you managed to port it over to OpenWRT?
Way back when I did it originally, I think it was just a matter of compiling it.
I didn't bother to do it again this time - QoS seems too unreliable in general these days :(

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

But in theory, you could get the same QoS functionality that Gargoyle offers in OpenWRT?

I'm quite satisfied but there are tidbits (specially regarding fine-tuning Wireless Connections) that I kinda miss from DD-WRT for instance.

Luke-Jr

Post by Luke-Jr »

CarpeNoctem wrote:But in theory, you could get the same QoS functionality that Gargoyle offers in OpenWRT?

I'm quite satisfied but there are tidbits (specially regarding fine-tuning Wireless Connections) that I kinda miss from DD-WRT for instance.
I see no reason why not. Gargoyle is based on OpenWrt after all.
If you do, please share :)

henriquebelaz

Post by henriquebelaz »

Luke-Jr wrote:
CarpeNoctem wrote:But in theory, you could get the same QoS functionality that Gargoyle offers in OpenWRT?

I see no reason why not. Gargoyle is based on OpenWrt after all.
If you do, please share :)
Gargoyle is the only solution I found in QOS terms. The others are just the others. The problem is Gargoyle dropped support for x86 (Non-Alix) back in 1.5.6 and I'm having a lot of issues trying to compile it with actual releases (mostly because of my lack of experience). I'd be really glad if somebody could help me out with that (either porting Gargoyle QOS over to OpenWRT or compiling Gargoyle for x86). Any tips on this?