I need to revert back to stock on WNDR3700 v.2

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

volumnus

I need to revert back to stock on WNDR3700 v.2

Post by volumnus »

Gargoyle just doesn't work for me. My Samsung Galaxy Note2 phone and iPad 4 both do great for an hour or two, but then the wifi on the devices has to be disconnected and reconnected to get it to work. That never happened with stock.

Another problem is that in the evening, we have thunderstorms frequently. The power flickers often. When the router reboots, the wifi doesn't reconnect like it did on factory firmware. I don't have a modem. We have fiber optics internet.

I have searched high and low and I can't figure out how to flash back to factory firmware. I'm beginning to think it isn't possible for a newb. Gargoyle will only flash .bin files. The newest firmware from netgear is a .img file. Gargoyle won't flash it.

BashfulBladder

Re: I need to revert back to stock on WNDR3700 v.2

Post by BashfulBladder »

TP-Link WDR3600 v1.1 running 1.5.10+ L10n-English (Built 20130922 - OpenWrt r38093)
TP-Link WDR4300 running 1.5.10+ i18n-English (Built 20131010 - OpenWrt r38286)

https://github.com/BashfulBladder/gargoyle-plugins/wiki

FrequentlyWrong

Post by FrequentlyWrong »

It may be little consolation to you, but here I have the WNDR3700v2, a Galaxy Note 1, a Google Nexus, and a Galaxy S3, among other devices.

I used Gargoyle 1.5.9 for more than 6 months. During that time, 2.5GHz was reliable and strong but 5GHz was weak. I had no trouble with any of the above devices connecting to the router.

I just upgraded to 1.5.10 and I've read on this site that the latest OpenWrt improves the 5GHz performance.

xtrag8

Post by xtrag8 »

I myself had problems with the wireless (Using 1.5.8) and mobile devices.

This was on a WNDR3700v2 as well
Primarily with dropping out

This was with an iphone 3S/SG2/SG4/HP Tablet

Changed the 2.4Ghz Transmit power to 23 and 5Ghz to 15 and stopped having any issues.

volumnus

Post by volumnus »

Thanks X,

I'm going to try out 23db on 2.4ghz. I don't use the 5ghz channel anymore. My house is now wired with Cat 6 ethernet, so I don't need it to transmit video or anything, and the range on 5ghz is pretty lame.

Hey, how did you arrive at 23db and 15db as the best transmit levels for your WNDR3700v2? Trial and error? We aren't the only ones who have had droppage issues with mobile devices. It seems pretty common if you google the WNDR3700v2.

Update:

So far, so good. Before I went from MAX to a CUSTOM 23db transmit level on the 2.4ghz channel, when I power cycled the router, my mobile devices could never successfully reconnect to the internet. They would appear to be connected, but pages wouldn't load. After dropping the level down to 23, my devices reconnected quickly and without issue and are loading pages perfectly after a power cycle. Fingers crossed that the issue is fixed.

volumnus

Post by volumnus »

The WNDR3700v2 seems to be a popular model here in the forum. The suggestion above corrected my issue. My phone and tablet would appeaer to reconnect to wifi if I left and came back home or if the router power cycled; however, web pages wouldn't load until I manually disconnected and reconnected wifi on the device. Changing the transmit level from Max (which is default) to Custom and choosing 23 appears to have solved the problem entirely. Thanks again, X!

xtrag8

Post by xtrag8 »

You're welcome :)

Hopefully it stays good for you!

This was just from trial and errror
Previously I had DD-WRT with another router but the same issue.
Perhaps the default db is overdrive for the WNDR3700v2, hence the need to turn it down a notch.