two wireless routers, one with low bandwidth

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ssaroff

two wireless routers, one with low bandwidth

Post by ssaroff »

Hello,
I have a situation where I let house visitors and kids use the WiFi, but sometimes this messes up video streaming (Roko) for me.

Since I don't want the hassle giving house guests passwords, nor will I know their IP number, I was thinking about doing the following, and I am wondering if this will work or if there is a a better way:

1) have two wireless routers. One which will be the router/dsl modem provided by my phone/dsl provider, and which has password protection and is designated as the DHCP server.

2) Directly connect another wirless router which will be running Gargoyle to the first router via cables between two ports.

3) configure the 2nd router so that it is NOT the DHCP server.

4) Configure the 2nd router so that it does NOT require a password to access wifi / internet.

5) configure Qos for the 2nd router so that the default service class for both upload and download is either slow or medium.

Again, what I am trying to accomplish is to be able to easily let house guests gain access to wifi, but not have their internet use negatively effect the bandwidth on a password protected wireless router. Again, a key requirement is that I will not know the IP numbers of my guests, nor would I want to spend time to find out.

Is there a better way? Will this work?

Much thanks in advance.

ssaroff

Re: two wireless routers, one with low bandwidth

Post by ssaroff »

bump... thoughts, ideas?

florachan

Post by florachan »

INTERNET/PHONE -> MODEM/ROUTER --> ROUTER 2 (gargolye)

1) does above look like your current setup?

2) if you want your user to access internet in router 2 it worth to add DHCP and you don't really have to run gargolye in router 2 . you could try other alternative that have captive portal feature (something like hotspot) .

3) connect the router 2 to routle. er 1 with cables and setup a fix ip for it. as for the video streaming you can run it in your first router/modem with qos enable

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

I know this is old, but did you ever figure it out?

If you had Router 1 with Gargoyle, and Router 2 (with or without Gargoyle) plugged into Router 1, you could set Router 2 with a static IP, and then do QoS for that 1 specific IP and allocate a minimal amount of bandwidth for that router (public/guests)
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400