Need Gargoyle Firmware Plugins explanation

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

mbourd25

Need Gargoyle Firmware Plugins explanation

Post by mbourd25 »

Hi, I've been using the Gargoyle Firmware version 1.59 for about 3 weeks and how or where can I implement new plugins? Or are there any new plugins to implement? Right now, In the plugins menu, I only see new themes as plugins. Are these the only ones available now?

Also, what are the .zip files that are posted in the forum Board index ‹ Development ‹ Show / Tell / Contribute? Are these the new plugins?

I have a Netgear WNDR3700v1 with Gargoyle 1.59.

Thanks.

BashfulBladder

Re: Need Gargoyle Firmware Plugins explanation

Post by BashfulBladder »

A Gargoyle plugin is just an ordinary OpenWrt package that gets installed just like any other .ipk. A package gets installed:
• on the command line via opkg or
• bundled in the firmware image

The Gargoyle plugins.sh page adds a 3rd option: install via webpage. If plugins aren't available that are in the main gargoyle source repository then its because they haven't been compiled, packaged & offered for download at the plugin source sites.

Now when you speak of zip files in that forum - I can't help but think of me (its just so natural for me to think of me). I had posted an earlier version of the wifi-schedule plugin there as a zip file. So while the plugin I had there could be installed via the first 2 options, it could not be installed by the plugins.sh webpage - because it was never available from the plugin sources sites.

I'll remove my zip files to minimize confusion. Wifi-schedule was added the the main gargoyle repository as have 2 other plugins by another developer
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.1 running 1.5.10+ L10n-English (Built 20130922 - OpenWrt r38093)
TP-Link WDR4300 running 1.5.10+ i18n-English (Built 20131010 - OpenWrt r38286)

https://github.com/BashfulBladder/gargoyle-plugins/wiki