Difficulty buying a router. No really...

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

peterg4000

Re: Difficulty buying a router. No really...

Post by peterg4000 »

drawz wrote:I again suggest the TP-Link WDR4300 or WDR3600.
They are not even listed in the Gargoyle page of "Supported Routers"??? So I kind-of ignored your first mention of them.
Though I now see that there are firmware files for them.

So confusing for the uninitiated...

drawz

Post by drawz »

Most routers have some sort of recovery/failsafe mode. In fact, I'm not aware of any that don't.

Those newer TP-Link models may not be mentioned because 1.5.x is considered "experimental" even though it is pretty darn stable.

The WNDR3800 is a great choice. Enjoy it!

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

peterg4000 wrote: Though I now see that there are firmware files for them.

So confusing for the uninitiated...
Yes, most of the pages are outdated...
You need to check the firmware page for the latest router supported and there are plenty there.

There is a good reason you can buy a gargoyle loaded router from this site directly ;)
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

peterg4000

Post by peterg4000 »

FYI - I finally got around to putting Gargoyle on my WNDR3800.

Took a while because the family were not really up to the risk of the Internet being out for a day/evening while I mucked around!
And I almost just used the built-in Netgear 'parental control' stuff, but decided I wanted more control via the Gargoyle features.

The WNDR3800 might be an 'overkill' router for my current purposes, but hopefully that just means I can keep it for several years without mucking around! (And I got a pretty good deal on the price with a $30 cash-back)
Gargole currently reports just 14% RAM in use. Nice head-room!

I got about 34Mbit down speeds testing late last night. (Telstra cable)
Using CGD24N in Bridge mode (NAT=off)

Having a strange issue with the login screen with Chrome, subject of another thread, otherwise looking OK.

Cheers.
Thanks again for the help back in March!

sportscrazed2

Post by sportscrazed2 »

Just a heads up about ebay. Message the seller for detailed info about model number and ask if you can return it if the model doesn't match what they tell you.

NetCake

Post by NetCake »

I spent the past couple of days looking for something local and i'm not having any luck. For what I need it for the one they sell here is fine so I'm going that route. Ready out of the box can be a good thing =)

~NC

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

I know this is a bump of an old thread, but hopefully it will help someone.

If you don't mind buying used, consider the Cisco / Linksys WRT400N. As far as I can tell, there's only one version of it. It's a 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band router with 8MB flash and Atheros AR7161 680MHz CPU. Converting it to Gargoyle is as easy as can be (just use the WRT400N file from the download section).

I just bought one off eBay for under $25 and it has been rock solid for the past 48 hours after installing Gaygoyle 1.6.1. WiFi range is good (matches my previous WRT160N Ultra RangePlus) and QoS with ACC is working great. I haven't noticed any issues apart from the WiFi LED being off on the unit.

If I get any feature/stability issues, I'll edit this post in the future.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.