Difficulty buying a router. No really...

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

peterg4000

Difficulty buying a router. No really...

Post by peterg4000 »

I've found the compatibility list here, but most online sales don't list the Version numbers - And can't answer when asked. (Some models seem to be up to V7 or V8, but listed here as supported only up to V2)

I go into a shop, and they never have any of the models listed.

The sticky "What have you flashed" thread doesn't really deal with Version numbers much, or clearly indicate "What's currently available from retail/online", or whether the models currently available online are what they flashed.

I know there's a pre-flashed router for sale here, but the International shipping is a killer, and anyway I would rather get a factory model and go through the flashing experience myself, so I know how to upgrade.

What would be REALLY useful is either:
A) a sticky post here indicating which of the compatible routers are currently readily available online, at a version level that is supported by Gargoyle. Even if just 2 or 3 'well regarded' models were listed it would be great. Of course, if the manufacturer sneaks out a new version there may be a lag before you pick it up... But as long as that is made clear it is 'buyer beware'.
or
B) A model release date in the compatibility table would go a long way - If it's 3 years old I shouldn't be looking for a 'new' one online.

Right now it is really quite hard to buy a router that is known compatible with Gargoyle.
Many online hours and many shops later, I am still trying...

Surely the mods and devs here have '1 or 2 models' that they would buy today if their current router fried?

I am guessing that the plethora of new TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND routers on ebay might be the go, but it is surely a guess.
- They look like a somewhat newer model than the one in the photo in the shop here.

Please confirm.
Or otherwise Help!

pbix
Developer

Re: Difficulty buying a router. No really...

Post by pbix »

Ebay is a great resource for finding routers. Sellers there often list the precise version they are selling and even photos of the labels on the router.

Unfortunately there is no chance that someone can tell your where to purchase all of the routers listed in the extensive list of compatible routers over at openwrt.org. But if you do your research and have a question about a specific router and a source you are contemplating then folks at this forum or over at openwrt.org will give you advice.

I myself recommend the Netgear WDNR3700v2 or the Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH these days. Both are available on Ebay and work great. The TL-WR1034ND is also available and works almost as well.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

This looks like a good machine?

Netgear wndr3800

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3800

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Just read the list at Openwrt
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

If you can use it on Openwrt, you can use it on Gargoyle ;)
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

peterg4000

Post by peterg4000 »

Thanks for the help, but I am not much the wiser.

I am all over eBay, but the used market in Australia is probably at least an order of magnitude smaller than the US. I can't find any of those routers for sale with known version numbers.

So, do you think the Netgear WNDR3800 listings on eBay would be good?

Like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Netgear-WNDR ... 1010885970

But the 3800 is not even listed here on the Gargoyle site?
And Gargoyle says Open-WRT support just makes my chances "much improved". - Not sure I want to fork out $134 on only "much improved" chances.
Also, I currently have a 'no aerial' Netgear and it's wireless range is atrocious... so I am hesitant...
Actually, the show-stopper now that I have looked into it more is this - What Gargoyle firmware would I load onto the WNDR3800 ???

I think the TL-WR1043ND listings are all for 'too new' versions.

I am just about ready to give up...

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

peterg4000 wrote:Thanks for the help, but I am not much the wiser.

I am all over eBay, but the used market in Australia is probably at least an order of magnitude smaller than the US. I can't find any of those routers for sale with known version numbers.

So, do you think the Netgear WNDR3800 listings on eBay would be good?

Like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Netgear-WNDR ... 1010885970

But the 3800 is not even listed here on the Gargoyle site?
And Gargoyle says Open-WRT support just makes my chances "much improved". - Not sure I want to fork out $134 on only "much improved" chances.
Also, I currently have a 'no aerial' Netgear and it's wireless range is atrocious... so I am hesitant...
Actually, the show-stopper now that I have looked into it more is this - What Gargoyle firmware would I load onto the WNDR3800 ???

I think the TL-WR1043ND listings are all for 'too new' versions.

I am just about ready to give up...
wow, this WNDR3800 seems to be a rather high end unit...
Unless you have 100Mbps connection speed or similar, all you really need is a 300-400Mhz router with 8MB ROM and 32MB flash to run Gargoyle comfortably...

I see Openwrt page says there is only one version of this router..., so I guess it should be fine.. or you can ask the seller the version number labelled on the router itself..

The gargoyle download page have the ROM for WNDR3800, so you should be able to use it as is...

You could just attach an antenna to the existing router have got ;)
If you have routers lying around, you maybe able to use it for Gargoyle.. rather than buying a new unit..
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

drawz

Post by drawz »

ericwong wrote:Just read the list at Openwrt
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

If you can use it on Openwrt, you can use it on Gargoyle ;)
That's not entirely true. Gargoyle only supports routers that are supported in Attitude Adjustment 12.09RC1. There are many additional routers supported in Barrier Breaker (trunk) that are not currently supported by Gargoyle.

I think a look at the download page of this site is your best bet.

The WNDR3800 is a good choice because there was only one version of it and it is well supported in OpenWrt/Gargoyle. Unfortunately, it is no longer being made, but refurbs and used ones on ebay are pretty easy to find. The suggestion to go to ebay and buy something with a specific revision of something else is a good one as well.

TP-Link also seems to not make major revisions that break compatibility. This is where I would consult the OpenWrt wiki to be sure though. The WDR3600/WDR4300 are good dual band gigabit options. The TL-WR1043ND mentioned in the OP is also good if you don't need dual band.

peterg4000

Post by peterg4000 »

drawz wrote:The WNDR3800 is a good choice because there was only one version of it and it is well supported in OpenWrt/Gargoyle. Unfortunately, it is no longer being made, but refurbs and used ones on ebay are pretty easy to find.
Not sure about them no longer being made. They are all over ebay selling as 'new'.
This is the one router mentioned that seems to be readily available, at what seems to be the right version. Though a lot of the sales mention 'Premium edition', so I hope that isn't a new version in any way.

I'm thinking of just splurging for this one to put myself out of my misery!

BTW - This Netgear (like many Netgears?) doesn't seem to have any external antenna connection, so either you hope the internal antennas work well enough (Unlike my current Netgear which is crap), or you are screwed.
drawz wrote:The TL-WR1043ND mentioned in the OP is also good if you don't need dual band.
The WR1043ND seems to have risks in the later versions with 'bricking'.
See here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd
- Not sure what this means for Gargoyle firmware risks, so not too game to 'go there'.

See my predicament?
It really is damn hard to find a 'known good' router to buy!

drawz

Post by drawz »

peterg4000 wrote:Not sure about them no longer being made. They are all over ebay selling as 'new'.
This is the one router mentioned that seems to be readily available, at what seems to be the right version. Though a lot of the sales mention 'Premium edition', so I hope that isn't a new version in any way.

I'm thinking of just splurging for this one to put myself out of my misery!

BTW - This Netgear (like many Netgears?) doesn't seem to have any external antenna connection, so either you hope the internal antennas work well enough (Unlike my current Netgear which is crap), or you are screwed.
Premium edition is just marketing and was on all WNDR3800s. It is "premium" compared to the WNDR3700 by adding more RAM (more flash than V1 of WNDR3700 also).

Although they are on ebay new, you won't find them at any retail store unless it's left over stock. No Amazon, Staples, Best Buy, etc., at least in the USA.

There are mods on ebay to add external antennas if you really need them. But if you really need them, you're better off buying a router that already has them. I again suggest the TP-Link WDR4300 or WDR3600. No issues with versions and well supported by OpenWrt and Gargoyle. The WR1043ND is also popular.
The WR1043ND seems to have risks in the later versions with 'bricking'.
See here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd
- Not sure what this means for Gargoyle firmware risks, so not too game to 'go there'.

See my predicament?
It really is damn hard to find a 'known good' router to buy!
All routers are at risk of bricking. If you flash an old version of OpenWrt to any router that is only supported in a new version, you will get be bricked. The only difference here is that older versions of the router are supported by older versions of OpenWrt. If you're going to use a current version anyway, as instructed in the Wiki, you will be ok (or at least to baseline risk of a failed flash).

peterg4000

Post by peterg4000 »

I went and ordered a WNDR3800.

I seriously couldn't find any other routers locally at 'known supported' versions. Maybe I am just impatient.

Anyhoo, I decided the excessive $$$ was worth it to get over my angst.

BTW - The info at openwrt seems to say that this Netgear is recoverable from being bricked:
A round-about, but 'no de-soldering' fail-safe:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wnd ... lsafe.mode
- Yay for Netgear in this instance. That's some insurance I am happy to have...

I still reckon a sticky thread with "Here's what I bought new this week, from where, and hey - This is how it works" would be a great thread for noobs like me.

The difficulty finding a supported router readily for sale must seriously deter 90% of the people that come here to have a look... (Or maybe just 90% of the non-US visitors because the used router market is so much smaller...)

Thanks for the help and info folks. I hope my flash onto my new router goes smoothly!