Skype and QoS

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Slacker

Skype and QoS

Post by Slacker »

I absolutely must get Skype on QoS and we all know how it seems impossible, except it might be.

I'm thinking:
Configure skype to force proxy usage
Install proxy on gargoyle
Assign outbound proxy port range
Create QoS rule

The problem is that none of the proxies listed in the openwrt seem to have an option to specify an outbound port range...

Has anyone successfully tackled this Skype/QoS issue using this or another method?

I currently have my phone's IP in the QoS voip class, but also need my computer's Skype in there... Worst case I'll restrict Skype to port 443 and work around it, though that'll completely screw up my "bytes reach" rules...

Edit:
My other thought was to use the proxy and add a rule marking any outbound connection from the external router IP as voip, since judging by a netstat, NAT connections don't count as such...

pbix
Developer

Re: Skype and QoS

Post by pbix »

I use Skype and noticed that with my with public IP and simple NAT that Skype uses UDP for the voice content.

I know the Skype will try to use UDP if it can and only fails over to TCP if it has to to get through.

So then for me the simple thing to do is to classify all UDP connections from/to the computers I know use Skype as VoIP type connections. That's what I do and its a good immediate step you can take to improve things.

This works as long a Skype uses UDP. The decision depends on conditions at both ends of the Skype call so not always under your control but as I said usually the above is enough.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I'm a heavy torrent user, so giving high priority to UDP is a no-go.
Perhaps there are differences in the packet sizes that would allow me to do this. I'll look into it as soon as I have the time.

P-O

Post by P-O »

Hi!

First I added the VoiP class to a specific host for UDP only. It worked for Skype but bit torrent traffic was also directed to this class.

By adding a max packet size of 400 it seems to work for both Skype and bit torent

I also changed the VoiP bandwith max for download to unlimited.

Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I just tested these settings, and got misclassified packets. I've come across some info stating that Skype has dynamically-sized packets, so this may not be the way to go...