Messaging on gargoyle...

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

florachan

Messaging on gargoyle...

Post by florachan »

I was just wondering if a feature along the line of messaging across LAN can be done on gargoyle..

something simple like netsend / smbclient alternative.. which is OS independent... so that on the admin page, I can select the Offending user that is online and send him a message.

he will then get a message as a popup or something...

is this possible or it is too hard?

thx ^^

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Messaging on gargoyle...

Post by Eric »

This is not possible without requiring that the host you are trying to contact have some sort of specialized software installed to listen for incoming messages. I'm not going to implement something that requires any of the clients to be running any specific kind of software -- I'd like all features of Gargoyle to work no matter how the computers on the network are configured.

uncle john

Post by uncle john »

florachan wrote:... so that on the admin page, I can select the Offending user that is online and send him a message.
Why put so much onus on the admin? Admittedly my interest is in small systems but my approach is to encourage users to monitor their usage quota independent of Gargoyle. If they detect some discrepancy it is in their interest to raise this concern and have the offender dealt with.

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

I remember something a while back (year or two) where, on a linux server or router, the images were flipped upside down or something?

I can't remember the exact specifics, but wouldn't it be possible to redirect traffic and tack on a frame or something with the message?

Sorry if I'm not being very clear, my memory is fuzzy at the moment ;)

Edit: Ah yes, it was something like this:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html