Listing remote admins in connected hosts

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

heuristic

Listing remote admins in connected hosts

Post by heuristic »

Hi,

My son and I were working at our respective homes the other night and I was assisting him configuring his Gargoyle system remotely, and I had him accessing one of mine over the internet also, and it struck me that while you can easily see LAN connections in the Status section, you cannot tell if the router is being accessed by the admin from the WAN side.... There is no current way to see this in the web gui.

Any chance this would be doable and is anyone else interested... I am betting most sites only have one admin... its a thought though.

For those worried about outside intruders getting in, this would be advantageous also.

Cheers :ugeek:

NL2009

Re: Listing remote admins in connected hosts

Post by NL2009 »

Hi

I think that is a great idea! It would be most useful to have this feature.
Regards, Nigel

uncle john

Post by uncle john »

heuristic: Thanks for your posting. What you say makes sense.
I've been exploring Gargoyle for a while and would now like to delve into remote admin.
I figure the all that is required is knowledge of Gargoyle's public IP address and then set it for PPPoE connection. It is that right?

florachan

Post by florachan »

Hi I been using Gargoyle for 2 months and it has been great.

I too would like to know how do I setup remote Access.

I am trouble setting it up at the moment.

My router is behind a WAG160n (modem + router), I only use it as modem. I didn't enable to remote access on this.

How do I setup the remote access so that when I type in my WAN IP, I was directed to My ASUS WL500 router rather than the WAG160n?

Thanks.

heuristic

Post by heuristic »

I used dynamicDNS to pick up the WAN address then in your software you just have to turn on remote admin. One precaution however, you better ensure you have a very complex password. I think mine is about 30 characters, if anyone wants to bother to hack that, they'll suffer for a while!

As me and the kid help each other out on this, I'd like to be able to see when he is connected remotely, and vice-versa. :D

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

florachan wrote:Hi I been using Gargoyle for 2 months and it has been great.

I too would like to know how do I setup remote Access.

I am trouble setting it up at the moment.

My router is behind a WAG160n (modem + router), I only use it as modem. I didn't enable to remote access on this.

How do I setup the remote access so that when I type in my WAN IP, I was directed to My ASUS WL500 router rather than the WAG160n?

Thanks.
If the WAG160N is only set up as a modem, you don't need to do anything with it, just enable remote admin on the WL500/Gargoyle router, and access it on the WAN IP, and it should work.

uncle john

Post by uncle john »

heuristic: Thanks for reminding me about of the importance of complex passwords.

heuristic

Post by heuristic »

uncle john wrote:heuristic: Thanks for reminding me about of the importance of complex passwords.
As an IT person at work, I am quite accustomed to having to use much hardened security these days, so it is easy to take it home! Changing the passwords frequently is also a good idea, as it does not take all that long to crack them these days. :mrgreen: