Question on Bandwidth Monitoring/Quota

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

splat

Question on Bandwidth Monitoring/Quota

Post by splat »

Hi just a question to help me work out if this will do what I want..

I'm in a shared house where each room gets a 5 gig allowance. I'm wanting to look at replacing the current setup for something a bit better.. but I need to know can I set certain sites to be ignored? so that sites the ISP doesn't meter traffic from can be ignored and not chew up a rooms monthly allowance.

and to make sure I understand.. this will allow me to stop someone from downloading anymore once they hit 5gig?

thanks,
Splat

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Question on Bandwidth Monitoring/Quota

Post by Eric »

You can not currently set the quotas to ignore certain sites -- they apply to ALL bandwidth used on the WAN interface.

However, they will cut someone off completely after they reach the limit (e.g. 5GB) as you want.

splat

Post by splat »

is it likely that it would ever be a feature to have some sites that can be ignored by quotas?

heuristic

Post by heuristic »

This would be good for students who have to connect to their schools for reference or assignments, while still barring them from exceeding the quota for other activities.. nice idea, but perhaps a tricky bunch of code!

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Only way I could see this a possiblity, and maybe not too hard
to code, would be to have a specific IP range ignored in the
bandwidth monitoring?

If @ a school, and students are accessing the internal network
and web pages, they should be able to figure out the internal
IP ranges being used.

And, probably adding more work for Eric, having an exclusion
rule in the bandwidth monitoring, to ignore monitoring a range
of IP addresses?
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

florachan

Post by florachan »

it would be nice if the option for shaping is available after the quota is reached .

splat

Post by splat »

sorry, just another question.

can this deal with a number of computers be part of one block of quota? I suppose the way I have my computers setup it'd work anyway though.. since I have my computers plugged in to an wrt54gl running openwrt to connect to the ap that I have to connect to to get internet. but it would be handy to be able to use my laptop and have it realise that it's the same quota as my other computers..

thanks

mosoft59

Post by mosoft59 »

Hello.

I definitely like member Splat's idea of an "Exclusion IP List". i.e. a list of IP's that Gargoyle does NOT monitor.

In my case, our ISP runs Gaming Servers. Uploads and downloads are NOT included in our 50gb per month plan. One of our children uses 12gb, just for this gaming site. I want to set him a 5gb quota limit for all other sites.

I would love to set "an exclusion" based on a URL, because the ISP may use Dynamic IP's. e.g. I can enter "http://games.myisp.com.au". I don't see it is possible, because we are talking "Router"

vplessky

Post by vplessky »

mosoft59 wrote: I definitely like member Splat's idea of an "Exclusion IP List". i.e. a list of IP's that Gargoyle does NOT monitor.

In my case, our ISP runs Gaming Servers. Uploads and downloads are NOT included in our 50gb per month plan. One of our children uses 12gb, just for this gaming site. I want to set him a 5gb quota limit for all other sites.

I would love to set "an exclusion" based on a URL, because the ISP may use Dynamic IP's. e.g. I can enter "http://games.myisp.com.au". I don't see it is possible, because we are talking "Router"
Majority of ISPs we have doing rate limiting (or limiting traffic to certain GB per month) only for Internet traffic.
To access Internet, you need to authenticate on PPPoE or PPTP server.
For Local Area Network of provider (all their users, in one giant Metro LAN) you do not need to authenticate.
You either assign to WAN interface Sattic IP address and GW, or get address dynamically via DHCP.

TP-Link calls it "Secondary Connection" in their factory firmware.
BTW: this feature has been added by request of Russian ISPs.
D-Link calls it "Dual Access"
I'd like to see in Gargoyle option in web interface to add such Secondary WAN connection, with static or Dynamic IP, and GW settings for this connection.
This 2nd WAN IP/connection should be included into routing table.
And than it's up to you - to have quotas on this WAN connection, or not.

NOTE: such feature would be absolutely great to promote Gargoyle here, in Russia.
DD-Wrt doesn't have it, and you need to add Startup and Firewall scripts in System/Commands interface, to get it working.

I have those scripts if someone is interested, and can send via PM, or post here.