disabling QOS

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

florachan

disabling QOS

Post by florachan »

how can I confim that the QOS is being disable ? , can I check it in the config file somewhere ?.

florachan

Re: disabling QOS

Post by florachan »

florachan wrote:how can I confim that the QOS is being disable ? , can I check it in the config file somewhere ?.
I had disable it in the interface but it seem that my speed is not improved.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

To confirm if your QOS is disables you can login into your router using SSH and type the command line "iptables -t mangle -vnL"

The mangle tables should not have the qos scripts listed.

What is the speed issue that concerns you?
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

florachan

Post by florachan »

pbix wrote:To confirm if your QOS is disables you can login into your router using SSH and type the command line "iptables -t mangle -vnL"

The mangle tables should not have the qos scripts listed.

What is the speed issue that concerns you?

?Thanks , now I can check what qos scripts being used by iptable. hmm .. probably is the distance that artificially slowing my speed down. I will do more testing.

spryte

Post by spryte »

Hi,

Enabling the QoS through the web interface (ticking Enable QoS) works.

However, disabling it through the web interface (unticking Enable QoS) doesn't quite work unless I follow it up with router reboot.

On a separate note, if I wanted to enable/disable QoS on a schedule, would it be sufficient to put a cron job that runs /etc/init.d/qos_gargoyle start/stop.

My goal is to enable traffic shaping for off-peak usage. Crazy tenants download so much in a single night that the ISP's off-peak quota will be long gone before the month is over, thus making everyone miserable.

Everyone gets a peak bandwidth quota, so it doesn't really matter if they get unlimited bandwidth during peak periods. The faster they use, the faster they will have their internet access blocked, without affecting others.

For the curious, I did traffic shaping through QoS (Download). It's an inelegant hack. I had one Classification Rule for each tenant (tenant's IP are statically assigned) and a corresponding Service Class with Maximum Bandwidth. I needed a separate Service Class for each tenant because the maximum bandwidth is shared (ie 50kbps/3 for three tenants).

Great job with Gargoyle. It works very well and your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Should be fixed in 1.0.11.

maxwolfie

Post by maxwolfie »

spryte wrote:Hi,

Enabling the QoS through the web interface (ticking Enable QoS) works.

However, disabling it through the web interface (unticking Enable QoS) doesn't quite work unless I follow it up with router reboot.

On a separate note, if I wanted to enable/disable QoS on a schedule, would it be sufficient to put a cron job that runs /etc/init.d/qos_gargoyle start/stop.

My goal is to enable traffic shaping for off-peak usage. Crazy tenants download so much in a single night that the ISP's off-peak quota will be long gone before the month is over, thus making everyone miserable.

Everyone gets a peak bandwidth quota, so it doesn't really matter if they get unlimited bandwidth during peak periods. The faster they use, the faster they will have their internet access blocked, without affecting others.

For the curious, I did traffic shaping through QoS (Download). It's an inelegant hack. I had one Classification Rule for each tenant (tenant's IP are statically assigned) and a corresponding Service Class with Maximum Bandwidth. I needed a separate Service Class for each tenant because the maximum bandwidth is shared (ie 50kbps/3 for three tenants).

Great job with Gargoyle. It works very well and your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
G'day
Can you explain how you set up your peak/off peak usage tables? I can only have one IP address per rule, therefore I can't have a peak and off peak for each user (IP)

spryte

Post by spryte »

Hi,

From what I understand, are referring to traffic shaping (not quota) for peak/off-peak periods?

From my experimentations, there's no direct way of achieving that through the web interface.

From the web interface, you can:
1) Turn on traffic shaping all the time for all IPs
2) Turn off traffic shaping all the time for all IPs

From the console (through ssh), you could probably put a cron job that:
1) Turns on traffic shaping for a specific time-frame for all IP
2) Turns off traffic shaping for a specific time-frame for all IP

I'm currently experimenting with this. Will report my results when I get it.

There is no immediate way to turn on/off traffic shaping for a specific IP during a specific time-frame, either through web interface or console.