What happens when quota exceeded?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Adams

What happens when quota exceeded?

Post by Richard Adams »

Please excuse the fact that I do not yet have a compatible Gargoyle flashed router.

I searched the documentation and forum and so far only found feature requests related to me question below.

Question: If bandwidth is used up and a set quote exceeded, what then occurs from the perspective of the user on the PC which overused the bandwidth?

pbix
Developer

Re: What happens when quota exceeded?

Post by pbix »

You can use the Quota system to change the QoS Class of the over-quota PC. Usually the bandwidth is reduced and the user will see slower or no connection to the internet but this part is configurable by you.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

pbix wrote:You can use the Quota system to change the QoS Class of the over-quota PC. Usually the bandwidth is reduced and the user will see slower or no connection to the internet but this part is configurable by you.
Actually it depends. If QOS is not configured, then you can select that the over-quota machine has either (1) a fixed maximum bandwith or (2) is cut off from the internet

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

If the quota is exceeded and the throttling option is not selected, all access to the WAN/internet is cut off. If a user attempts to connect to a website, they will be redirected to the login page of gargoyle, with a big red error message that tells them their quota has been reached.