A big thank you.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

paganister

A big thank you.

Post by paganister »

I would just like to say a thank you to the OpenWRT and Gargoyle teams for making a firmware that appears to be stable on my TP-Link WR1043ND!

The stock firmware had lag spike issues whenever even a tiny amount of uTorrent was being used, so I flashed the DD WRT firmware. Unfortunately their firmware was very unstable... the router would grind to a hault every couple of hours or so even after following all their "router slowdown" fixes.

I gave up and saw this OpenWRT Gargoyle firmware which was suggested by a few people. I reverted back to stock (18k downloads for stock firmware restore! I can't have been the only one with issues) and then flashed Gargoyle 1.4.7. There was a hiccup in the first few hours of using it (2 disconnects), but I'm presuming they were just because new devices were connecting to it (we have MANY). So I assigned them all a static IP and for 3-4 days now the router has been running rock solid, even while uTorrenting.

So I'd like to say a thank you for saving me hassle of a router return where the retailer said they will be doing "tests" to see if it's faulty or not. I doubt they could recreate my issue so you've probably saved me £50 quid. xD

You probably don't get many thank you threads so here you go. :P

GoUser

Re: A big thank you.

Post by GoUser »

Me too. I have TP-LINK tl-wr841nd
Gargoyle is the most stable and usefull firmware I have used.
TP-LINK TL-WR841ND v5 - Gargoyle 1.4.7
TP-LINK TL-WR841ND v7 - Original firmware
TP-LINK TL-WR941ND - Gargoyle 1.4.7
D-LINK DIR-825 b1 - Gargoyle 1.4.7

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

This is a good a thread to add my thanks to as well.

I first got Gargoyle to monitor my oldest kid's web usage.

Then used Gargoyle to limit his phone's wi-fi access to the web based on time and day (cellular data is permanently off at the provider).

Then my other kids started getting internet enabled devices. So I partitioned the network into static IPs by child, and one range for gamesystems, and set up time of day access limitations on each IP range individually.

Now after moving and leaving my nice cat5 cabled house for one that wasn't, I now I have my three Ethernet enabled devices downstairs all nicely connected wirelessly into my router. No individual dongles, just one WRT54G flashed with Gargoyle being used as a 5 port switch with wireless backhaul to a TL-WR1043ND. Freaking awesome!

Who knows, maybe QOS is next! With 14 on net devices in my house, maybe it's time to wade into that arena of Gargoyle.

If only Gargoyle could make bacon ...

[NG]Owner

tals

Post by tals »

Definitely it is worth enabling QOS and because you have already explored fixed IP it's very easy. I just partitioned my network by groups of ip (who owned what - i.e each person was a class) and then apportioned 20% to each family member and a catch all for 20%. The %'s only kick in when the network is saturated and it should keep the network in a good state if you enable acc
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

Smining

Post by Smining »

Me too. I also have TP-LINK tl-wr841nd
Gargoyle is the most stable and usefull firmware I have used.