Why Gargoyle for my 3700?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tals

Re: Why Gargoyle for my 3700?

Post by tals »

It's definitely something that would seem worthwhile to add into Gargoyle's features, i'll post in the relevant section in the next few days.

Performance wise that's interesting, not sure why the openwrt and dd-wrt are returning such poor results. I'll do some checks on mine in the next few days.
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

mix

Post by mix »

The OpenWRT wireless drivers are most likely using a more sensitive setting to detect interference than dd-wrt or the stock Netgear firmware. If interference is detected, the router is supposed to drop it's data rate, even abandon channel bonding.

I wouldn't put much weight into whatever graphic/output is reporting to you wireless connection speeds. Most of the time it's all BS. You might connect at 300 Mbps, but end up with about 50 Mbps throughput. I doubt there are many consumer wireless routers out there that will even truly route 100 Mbps. So why would it matter if you connected at 150, 120, 90, 60 etc. if the throughput ends up being the same anyways?

Another bit of fluff, take a look at how much the wireless data rate actually drops when you put your wireless connection under heavy load, and then watch it jump back to some high connection rate when idle. Or how about when you move your router one inch on the table it is sitting on and all of a sudden the wireless clients say their signal strength is improved by 30%?

As long as you are able to achieve the maximum amount of throughput you are paying your ISP for over your wireless connection with your router, I'd totally disregard what rate you are supposedly connected at.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

skier150

Post by skier150 »

It is really more about the signal strength for me, but connect rate and signal strength are linked. The better the signal, the better data rate the connection can handle. You are assuming that all the data transferred is from/to the internet, and that is not the case. So the fact that my internet is 10 has no bearing on the fact that I need a lot more than that across the LAN. Besides, that is like saying that I do not need 300hp in my car because I can only do 25mph around my development anyway. I assure you that I did not use anything from Netgear to check the connection speed and signal strength, and the internal meters in Gargoyle and DD-WRT confirmed what I was seeing on other indicators.

tals

Post by tals »

The example you give is more appropriate by saying it is like having a 300hp car in a 30mph zone. In terms of if mix is correct then your actual throughput would effectively be the same as the stock would get more errors when communicating between the devices.

A more correct test would be to try transferring some large files around the network and also try doing some ping - t tests between the different devices.

That said unless you're running a server based environment I'm not sure you'd see much difference if the results do reflect what the wireless clients are reporting.

All said though you've checked gargoyle and are missing the parent controls and ssid so I'm not sure how much gains to be had continuing this. Other than for my own interest in this type of thing - but no way is my netgear ever reverting to stock. Without qos Internet is almost unuseable for me and my ability to control the children's internet usage puts me on a whole different level to other parents network routers, an example would be had a sleepover the other day. All the children duly connected their devices to the Internet. I then set Internet to go down at 11.00pm guaranteeing that whilst they may stay awake it wouldn't be due to the Internet. The parental controls appeal but I can switch to listen into what you restrict and for me that is as good - particularly as the ability to see what searches a done in some ways is more powerful. I've posted on opendns but they don't get the issue so that one is not worth pursuing.As gargoyle is a community project if you did pursue it and get somewhere then it could be put into gargoyle if someone who had the abilities could do it.

The ssid idea I like a lot, so whilst it's not critical for me it's certainly going into feature requests

Tals
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

skier150

Post by skier150 »

tals, again I want to thank you for all of you input and effort with this!

As I sit here, 2 rooms over from the router, my signal and speed are as good as when I had the router with Gargoyle sitting 2ft from the notebook. But, really the speed is a moot point right now due the other issues. If it were just one or two of them, I could certainly work harder to get around it... but three is just a little much for me.

I definitely could see myself using the qos to a greater degree with Gargoyle, now that you showed me what can be done. I will check back in the future to see if the guest SSID has been implemented. In the meantime I will be in the never-ending quest for a better router.

CaryUrive

Post by CaryUrive »

To prevent my children addicted to the TV programmes and do harm to their eyes and study after getting the cell phone jammer I also get the RF Signal Jammer and by now everything is going on well and I am satisfied with the result.