Why Gargoyle for my 3700?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

skier150

Why Gargoyle for my 3700?

Post by skier150 »

I have had my WNDR3700v1 for a couple of years now, and it drives me crazy every day. Each version of the stock FW has different problems for me. I think I tried DDWRT a year ago, but took it off... do not remember why, but I think its function was limited.

Why is Gargoyle a better choice than stock? What features will I lose, and what ones will I gain?

How does Gargoyle compare to OPENWRT and DDWRT?

Sorry if this question has been answered a hundred times... I did a search for 3700 and could not find the answers I was looking for.

Thanks!!

Betties

Re: Why Gargoyle for my 3700?

Post by Betties »

In my opinion, you'd better change it with a new one.

skier150

Post by skier150 »

Betties wrote:In my opinion, you'd better change it with a new one.
Like what?

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

I think that previous post was a spammer.

1) Gargoyle IS OpenWRT - let me clarify
Gargoyle is a MUCH Enhanced GUI / interface / QoS / monitoring tool
that uses OpenWRT underneath.

So if you are running Gargoyle - you are running one of the latest
official (NOT Trunk) releases of OpenWRT

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=faq

Read up on it there!

2) It's hard to compare Gargoyle to DD-WRT
I've used both for years and I have to say that Gargoyle is MUCH more
intuitive to use and has a different set of features.

If you are a true power user that likes to do everything via
command line - I'd recommend DD-WRT over OpenWRT/Gargoyle
as long as your router is supported by DD-WRT

Both have their purposes but I'd definitely say that Gargoyle
is much more user friendly and forum friendly.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

tals

Post by tals »

In terms of dd-wrt does it have the ability to handle qos in the way gargoyle handles it. IMHO that is one of the big usp's of gargoyle over all other solutions currently available
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

skier150

Post by skier150 »

IMHO, QOS is overrated. So far I have not found it useful at all... and it is already built into the stock FW.

What about USB, parental controls, dhcp reservations, or guest ssid?

tals

Post by tals »

skier150 wrote:IMHO, QOS is overrated. So far I have not found it useful at all... and it is already built into the stock FW.

What about USB, parental controls, dhcp reservations, or guest ssid?
It maybe overrated for you but for me Gargoyle bought sanity back to my household. Before then I would be gaming and the children would start streaming and boom my ping would start rocketting, ensue a rather embarrassing yelling for me to be able to game they needed to stop streaming. I had a Billion before which seems to get good reviews but doesn't come close to this :). Because acc does not exist on any other router no other router firmware will properly work on an adsl line

USB - check
parental controls - check
dhcp reservations - check (if you mean fix ips from the router)
guest ssid - I believe so

skier150

Post by skier150 »

I tried the QOS, it actually made things much worse. I gave priority to my Vonage and MicroCell, and they actually performed worse than before. Not to mention making the rest of the network crawl.

I mentioned Parental Controls, but I should have been more specific. I really meant the one provided by OpenDNS for the Netgear routers. It is the best I have ever seen for keeping my kids out of things, and allowing me in. The "parental controls" that are built into most routers is just to limited time consuming.

If I install Gargoyle and do not like it, is there an easy way to get the stock FW back on there? When I say easy, I mean a menu choice to pick a file to use.

Figured I would list what I am trying to run on a daily basis:

Netgear WNDR3700 router
D-Link DGS1005D Gigabit 5p switch
Old Netgear 10/100 5p hub
Dell LAN printer
Samsung LAN printer
Bench computer on LAN
Gateway Win8 Desktop on LAN
D-Link DCS920 wired cam on LAN
TrendNet TVIP110WN cam on WLAN
Dell Desktop on LAN
Vonage VOIP box on LAN
MicroCell (uses broadband and GPS to provide 3G cell signal) on LAN
Xbox 360 on LAN
Nintendo WII on WLAN
Dell XP Desktop on LAN
Lenovo Win7 Notebook on WLAN
HP Win7 Notebook on WLAN
Dell XP notebook on WLAN
Nokia Lumia 900 on WLAN
another Nokia Lumia 900 on WLAN\
Nintendo DS on WLAN
Ipod on WLAN

tals

Post by tals »

It really depends what aspect of the qos wasn't working and how you set it up, if qos really isn't working and mine had issues at the beginning it actually highlighted a problem with my line, if it's not gargoyle qos then it is unlikely to work anyway :)

In terms of back to stock firmware I believe if you go for the atheros ones which use the factory web to update then it works vice versa as well but need someone to confirm.

* I'm confused re qos do you mean gargoyle qos or another one, they ae very very different - gargoyles actually works.

** on my set up I have one wifi printer, a USB drive hanging off the router acting as a nas, 2 laptops, 3 pcs, 2 iPhones, 2 work laptops, one blackberry, one itouch, a ds a wii, an iPad, humax hdr and a Sony blu ray player with 3 home plugs and a 5 port switch running on a 4 - 8mb connection :)

The devices are grouped by family member so bandwidth and fair sharing of the line can be achieve - ie they all can be downloading and my ing remains stable even if my connection to the net drops by 80%

skier150

Post by skier150 »

I used the QOS that is built into the stock Netgear FW. I spent hours mapping out every single one of the MACs from my list. Needless to say I was pretty mad when it seemed to work worse.

I read some things about people having to use Telnet to flash the router back to stock FW. I would really rather not have to go that route if I do not have to. I really would like to try Gargoyle, but I need a quick and easy way to get back to "normal" if it is not working for me.