TIME LIMIT on net access ?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

drnorton

TIME LIMIT on net access ?

Post by drnorton »

hello,

I have a question about time limit for children.

I like to have a time based access restrictions to limit computer access to the internet to specific times and MAC Adresses. So I can set maybe 3 hours per day in a time window between 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. maybe.
It must be run a countdown. next day the same .. and so on.

my dream:
http://www.avm.de/de/Service/Service-Po ... herung.php

Is there a plan to implements this or by add on ?
Sorry for my bad english.

will be nice..

Greetings drnorton

tals

Re: TIME LIMIT on net access ?

Post by tals »

Yes gargoyle has the ability to specify specific times the pc's can use the Internet. I use this for both my children, local LAN access still works so they can print etc but Internet is off during restrictions. You can white list sites such as wiki, school etc.

You can tie in ip's to the mac address and have the system block different ip addresses for that mac address

You also have the ability to monitor web sites visited and searches done from specified machines, though at the moment I have this turned off I can turn it on should I have concerns and as far as the children are concerned it is always on :)
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

drnorton

Post by drnorton »

Thanks for your reply,

bu can I give maybe 3 hours per day for internet access in a
special time window too ? maybe in the time between
9 p.m. and 9 a.m. 3 hours for internet access when my son like to
surf ? Maybe 10 till 11 and then again at 3 to 4 and so on..
Next day the time is set to 0 and start with new 3 hours again.
I think is not easy. I have not seen yet in gargoyle.

I only see a bandwith quota in firewall. This will be nice to have for
time. ip must be set to mac adress.

greeting
drnorton

tals

Post by tals »

Although what you ask sounds good and it's something I looked at through other methods. How would you actually implement it and how do you define internet use. If I am on a static page not doing anything am I on the internet? My PC will be talking to the internet even if I am not actually doing anything is that internet usage?

So it sounds a nice idea but one hard if not impossible todo properly. The Quotas is possibly the best way - though for me the specified times of interet access has worked very well

drnorton

Post by drnorton »

Yes the only problems is how to manage the start and stop reason.
I think the best is to control activ browser. I think is not hard to check if a browser is running together with Ip Adress bind to mac adress.
Only the trouble is by running some online-games or mail or so on.
Maybe also good idea is to check the traffic. No traffic time stop after 5 minutes. Avm (Fritzbox) have this way of time control.

To know how much time is left is the best way to write a add on for a browser.

Important will be also to build a group of mac-adresses with one ip adress. Is this also going by gargoyle ? The reason is, xbox smartphone and computer and so on start everytime the quota again. So it will be better only to have one ip or a group of it. And manage only one time quota.

What do you think about this idea ? Now we need only one to write for us. I can not write program but will be nice to learn it.
Which language will be need to write something for gargoyle or openwrt ? Java, c++ or some other one ?

greeting....

tals

Post by tals »

Quota's can be grouped to different IP's so yes you can set per person's devices. Personally I like how the quota works, knowing how my children use the internet of I want to restrict it reasonably the Quota does the trick. The restrictions work well in either disabling the internet or setting specific times when they can use it.

drnorton

Post by drnorton »

sure quota by download and upload traffic and time is ok.

But i need a quota by time. So i can give everyday again 3 hours.
So is more easier to control.

But thanks for your reply...