What's the difference between Gargoyle and OpenWRT?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

buggers

What's the difference between Gargoyle and OpenWRT?

Post by buggers »

What are the differences between Gargoyle and OpenWRT? I read some of the documentation and it says Gargoyle is basically a front-end for OpenWRT? Does that mean OpenWRT does not have a gui? How do you view the settings you've made for OpenWRT then? Why doesn't OpenWRT have a gui?

I also read you can add packages to OpenWRT for more features. Can you do this with Gargoyle? I've noticed Gargoyle is pretty light on features and it would be nice if we had similar options to Tomato like all the advanced wireless settings and connection limit settings.

pbix
Developer

Re: What's the difference between Gargoyle and OpenWRT?

Post by pbix »

There is no comprehensive list of differences between Gargoyle and the OpenWRT GUI. You should try them both and see which you like better.

But generally Gargoyle includes more targeted functionality for home users.

You can install the same packages on either.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tals

Post by tals »

IMHO gargoyles usp is it's QOS with the active monitoring which ensures the Qos works even if your line speed fluctuates. Not tried openwrt or tomato but I like the Gargoyle web interface. Reporting functionality is nice and restrictions/quota setup is also good.

It maybe worth saying what you are specifically looking for in the firmware and we can advise if Gargoyle has it.
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

buggers

Post by buggers »

Does OpenWRT have more advanced firewall options, connection limit options, port triggering, advanced wireless options similar to dd-wrt/tomato?

I was mistakenly under the impression that OpenWRT didn't have a GUI and I thought that was the whole reason for Gargoyle. I thought 'front-end' was the same thing as a GUI. If I had known otherwise I would have installed OpenWRT instead. Not that Gargoyle isn't good but I like having more options.

tals

Post by tals »

Regarding openwrt you're probably better asking those questions directly in the openwrt forums.

As I understand it you can just load openwrt's firmware over the top of Gargoyle (rather than any complicated process). But that maybe worth clarifying in here.
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)