General Question Regarding QoS

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

yochaigal

General Question Regarding QoS

Post by yochaigal »

First, I'd like to thank anyone involved in this project - you guys rule.

I am using a TP-LINK 1043nd; it kicks ass. I had DD-WRT but after learning about Gargoyle knew it was more down my alley. Using 1.4.7 as a gateway/AP. I have a decent Comcast connection (22Mpbs)

My question regards QoS in general. I've used Tomato and DD-WRT QoS to some affect, however I've never quite figured out how to get it to work exactly as I want. What I'd like is quite simple:

I run a web service at port 4040; the application is called Subsonic - it is a java-based open-source media player that I use for watching movies/listening to music while at my girlfriend's house (something I do almost every day).
To properly watch a trans-coded video within Subsonic's flash player, it requires around 200 KBps upload speed per user. Subsonic has nifty built-in bandwidth tools that I put to use. HOWEVER: if my roommate decides to download something, and doesn't know enough about Torrents to manage his/her upload speed, I'm suddenly unable to stream anything properly (lots of pausing) unless I had already been watching something and it had cached.

What I'd like to do is let my roomate(s) use my internet to their heart's content - no bandwidth control outside of general port 80/web traffic prioritization, but also have something in place which gives FULL upload priority to my Subsonic service.
I haven't had any success with DD-WRT - can Gargoyle do the trick? I've read through the documentation and I feel like I've got a decent grasp on how Restrictions QoS work; but I can't find a way to limit their upload speed without completely limiting it (e.g. with Quotas).

TL; DR: How do I prioritize upload speed for one OUTBOUND service?

Thanks

tals

Re: General Question Regarding QoS

Post by tals »

If you were to set a minimum bandwidth of 200k up for the comcast would that do the trick i.e it's not prioritising it but it would ensure you get 200k up and your flatmate can then have the rest?

I found it easier to breakdown clasess using ip rather than specific ports - in my case I have each of the family members as a class.

Download wise i'd still be tempted to have the active control on to ensure the line doesn't get congested.
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

bardu

Post by bardu »

You can easily limit p2p trafic with gargoyle. Just activate QoS and impose you maximum limits to the default class "slow" for both uploads and downloads.

tals

Post by tals »

The QOS on Gargoyle is quite neat, if you set a minimum bandwidth for a class then that min bandwidth only kicks in if that class is active - which is pretty much what you want. As I said - personally i'd redraw the classes down to machines/people which gives additional reporting on those people but it's nicely configurable to how you want to use it
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

yochaigal

Post by yochaigal »

Got it... I will play around some more this weekend.
Thanks guys!