QOS problem!!!

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

hellbound1988

QOS problem!!!

Post by hellbound1988 »

Hello,

I am using TP-link WR941ND with gargoyle 1.5.1 Everything works good so far but i have problems with qos settings. I have put some machines to have a specific bandwidth like minimum 500 to max 700 where as i have torrent downloads at slow class so that it can max the download speed when there is no priority users. But the scenario is when the torrent downloading is at full speed the specific bandwidth pc's get bandwidth very slowly and browsing lags heavily. I also want browsing to be faster no matter if the torrent downloader need to be capped at zero KB.

What should be my qos settings to solve this issue ?

regards

tals

Re: QOS problem!!!

Post by tals »

The first thing I would do is turn off qos and on a quiet network do www.speedtester.net worth doing it at a peak and off peak times. You then should have an idea of your network capability. Then set qos upload to 95% of the upload figure you got. With the download you have a choice of getting the system to actively stop the network getting congested or do a standard qos. If lag aka ping and voice is important then definitely do acc if not then standard qos will work, though your remit of stopping the network getting congested probably suits the acc. If acc then put the speed you got in the tests if not acc then I think the percentage value was 75%

Now in terms of min and max for the time being I'd leave that and just break down a percentage between the users. The way I have mine (for a family) is I group each persons devices to a rule so eg my son has his pc and itouch in his rule. You could keep it simpler and set a rule for each of the main users machines and then a catch all - really up to you. Do the percentage for upload

I suspect if you go acc that will keep your page performance up, you may want to set a max upload on the machines tormenting but if you get the qos percentage for upload right that should be ok. The trick as I understand it is ensuring the router still has capacity on the line hence setting the qos percentage. Acc does this actively right down to 20% of capacity which is why you set it to the speed you find.
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

hellbound1988

Re: QOS problem!!!

Post by hellbound1988 »

Thanks for the suggestion.