Bandwidth Quota Question

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

propelaheadau

Bandwidth Quota Question

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi there,

I really hope this question has not been asked and I am sorry if it has....

I am about to purchase a WRT54GL and install Gargoyle (replacing a IPCOP box runnimg 24/7), in regards to Bandwidth Quota's can the monthly start date be changed i.e. 22nd of the month or is this just the way it is?

This is quite important as on the home LAN we have some bandwidth hogs and the DSL clicks on each month in the 22nd!

Regards

Peter :D

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Bandwidth Quota Question

Post by Eric »

Sorry, but there is no way to do this (currently). It records everything by calendar month/week/day/hour.

However, I will consider this as a feature request, and one with fairly high priority. I know a lot of people are using Gargoyle for the quotas feature and I can see how this would be very useful to a lot of people. I'll see what I can do.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

A related request is to have the bandwidth monitor to have more time frame steps to choose from. Currently the time difference between 15 minutes / 15 hours / 15 days / 1 year seems to be a bit too large.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

FRiC: Your request is actually significantly harder. This is because I would have to edit not only the back end, but the display graphs as well, which is not trivial.

What time frame(s) do you need? Suppose you could have at most 5, but you could pick any 5 you want (one more than we currently have) with the max possible being 1yr. Which would you pick and why?

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi Eric,

Thanks heaps for the super fast responce....thank you for concidering it as spec request, look forward to it in a future build.

Another question....is it possible to have the usage for a user for a day,week,month emailed or previsions for the creation of a CSV file for down load??

Similar to TCAR and addon for IPCOP http://www.onmind.ru/tcar/tcaren.htm

Please below example email report...

Dear user KidsPC,

Your traffic during 10 Jun 2009 is 93132236 bytes (88.8 Mb).

Your total month traffic is 2504172175 bytes (2388.2 Mb).

Also can this be done for the Web Usage Page, exporting of the pages visited and filtered based on IP address to a CSV file eg checking for XXX rated or dodgy sites for those who are too young

Also to help with memory (or lack of it) a button to flush cache in each area.....just a thought!!!

Thanks heaps in advance and it really looks like this router is going to cost more as I will be buying some "High Quality Pizza"

Regards

Peter

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

propelaheadau: Well.... since you ask so nicely....
quota-reset-time.jpg
quota-reset-time.jpg (48.04 KiB) Viewed 11931 times
New bleeding firmware has been uploaded.

Users can already check quota usage by connecting to the login page of the router. You can't login without a password, but the status of any quota that applies to that user will be displayed there, without the need to login.

I'm not sure how much memory / flash space an email client will require, so I'm not sure how feasible your suggestion is. Resources on these devices are REALLY limited. It shouldn't be too hard to allow download in CSV format or something similar, though. I'll see what I can do.

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

Eric wrote:FRiC: Your request is actually significantly harder. This is because I would have to edit not only the back end, but the display graphs as well, which is not trivial.

What time frame(s) do you need? Suppose you could have at most 5, but you could pick any 5 you want (one more than we currently have) with the max possible being 1yr. Which would you pick and why?
Hmm, I thought it might be hard to implement, but I didn't realize how hard. For me, I think the gap between 15 minutes and 15 hours is too large. Maybe 4 hours?

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi Eric,

That is just superb.....thank you so much for your taking the time to implement my suggestion, a truely polished product.

I completly undertsand your concern about the feasiblity of my suggestion re email support for the usgage \ site logs, I guess there is a risk of the firmware becoming to "bloated".

The CSV option would work very well, just a summary to date of all monitored ip's would be great and I believe functional (future build maybe....)

Kind regards

Peter

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi Eric,

Quick question....

As per your previous post your mentioned that "Users can already check quota usage by connecting to the login page of the router" (Which is great)

However it appears that this is an overall quota for all monitored users, can this be invidualised and display usage for each user \ ip??

Would makes it easy for users to check usage and keep under control.

Thank you again and this is just a thought....

Kind regards

Peter

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

It should display both the global quota (if one is defined) and the quota that applies specifically to the connecting IP (if one is defined). That way each user is informed of the status of all quotas that apply.

However, I think what you may be asking is whether I could add a feature so that you can set a quota of a specific amount that applies to each individual IP on the network without having to set up static ips and a quota explicitly for each of those static IPs. The answer to that question is that, yes, this is possible but it's very, very tricky. However, I'm working on precisely this feature right now (that's why you haven't seen too man updates lately -- implementing this rather difficult feature is taking up most of my time), and it should be ready by v1.0.