Tomato OK, Gargoyle not?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

vex8tion

Tomato OK, Gargoyle not?

Post by vex8tion »

I've an issue with Gargoyle that doesn't seem to exist with my Tomato router and was wondering if there was something I could do such as IP tables block to resolve issue?

Basically I'm using and All in One (AIO) Draytek 2700VG as my PPPoE passthrough modem for my Tomato/Gargoyle router. The VOIP in the AIO is configured to registering via LAN back through the router (and out its own modem). So from a cabling point of view....

Router WAN to AIO LAN for PPPoE
Router LAN to AIO LAN for VOIP registration via router.

My Tomato router (WRT160N) has worked in this configuration for over a year yet if I drop my new Gargoyle router (WR1043ND) into this same configuration it is unable to hold a PPPoE connection if the Router LAN to AIO LAN cable is in place.

I suspect Gargoyle has a problem with seeing the AIO on both the WAN and LAN so was wondering if I could implement something that would allow this to occur.

The ability of Gargoyle to Whitelist whilst Access Restrictions are in place for the kids and homework was the end goal that Tomato can not achieve.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Vex...

pbix
Developer

Re: Tomato OK, Gargoyle not?

Post by pbix »

Interesting setup. The easiest thing will be to get a separate VoIP adapter for $10 on Ebay and eliminate the second cable.

But, if you have time to kill I am sure what you want could be made to work. I would try with only one connection between the two. Seems to me that there is no need for the second cable.

Do all of the following:
1) Configure your AIO in bridge mode.
2) Configure your AIO with DHCP enabled on its LAN ports but its own subnet separate from your LAN. Set this up such that is dishes the Gargoyle WAN port a known IP address.
3) Gargoyle configured for a PPPoE connection

In this mode you should be able to access the AIO webserver from any computer on your LAN and the PPPoE should be working and stable. Gargolye automatically configures the firewall to do this and you can prove you have the connectivity in both directions.

Now its a matter of adding the proper iptables entries to NAT your AIO traffic in and out of your LAN. That's the part that you will have to research but should amount to no more than 2 or 3 iptables commands I would think.

With this this configuration
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

vex8tion

Post by vex8tion »

pbix wrote: Do all of the following:
1) Configure your AIO in bridge mode.
2) Configure your AIO with DHCP enabled on its LAN ports but its own subnet separate from your LAN. Set this up such that is dishes the Gargoyle WAN port a known IP address.
3) Gargoyle configured for a PPPoE connection

In this mode you should be able to access the AIO webserver from any computer on your LAN and the PPPoE should be working and stable. Gargolye automatically configures the firewall to do this and you can prove you have the connectivity in both directions.
Wow, thanks, what a very elegant solution....
I found your original post about it here:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =364#p4774

Anyway, I've been able to get to the AIO to work as described above but it seems the unit cannot get outbound to the internet. I assume the IPtables need modification now.

If the AIO is @ 192.168.1.254 and the Gargoyle router @ 192.168.2.254 could I have assistance on the IPTables entries required?

Thanks Vex....

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Sounds like the only thing you have left to do is the hard part.

The simple thing is to get another ATA for your phone.

If you like challenges you need to dig and learn about iptables. I suppose somewhere in the AIO there is a "default gateway" setting. You probably would start with setting that to 192.168.2.254 so that it routes traffic to the Gargoyle router. That may be enough but I suspect other iptable rules will be needed. I myself do not know what those entries might be and I have no way to test it so good luck.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

vex8tion

Post by vex8tion »

pbix wrote: If you like challenges you need to dig and learn about iptables. I suppose somewhere in the AIO there is a "default gateway" setting. You probably would start with setting that to 192.168.2.254 so that it routes traffic to the Gargoyle router.
Yes a new ATA would be easier but the original reason for the AIO was to minimise the amount of devices. Sadly no AIO's I've seen have the control that Gargoyle or to a lesser extent Tomato allows.

AIO gateway and routes setup so I think just the IPtables to go.

Will have a look at how the default LAN @ 192.168.2.x subnet is NAT'd and try to apply that to the AIO 192.168.1.x subnet.

Do you recall if the acquired DHCP IP is applied to vlan or is the WAN interface multihomed with the DHCP and PPPoE.

Regards
Vex...