Question about quotas

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

wakeforce

Question about quotas

Post by wakeforce »

So I just finished installing gargoyle successfully on a WRT54GL router, and I have a few questions about download quotas...

If for example I wanted to create a quota for 3 different computers, I understand that I will need to configure them to use a static IP adress which will be entered in Gargoyle afterwards.

If I wanted to limit every other IP adress other than these 3 to a very small download quota, for example if a guest brings his laptop or iphone or other wireless device, would it be possible to limit all ip adresses except the 3 I configured?

I tried putting a specific IP adress with a 10mo limit and ALL ip adresses to a limit of 1mo to see if it would take into account the biggest or smallest quota. Unfortunately, it took the smallest quota and cut downloads after 1mo was downloaded even tough it was the ip with the 10 mo quota.

Is there a way to add exceptions?

Thank you for the help and thank you for the great firmware!

Gargoyle87

Re: Question about quotas

Post by Gargoyle87 »

I do not know whether that is the best solution for your situation, but I will try! :D

First of all, set specific IPs (static IP) to your home devices.

Then narrow the DHCP range to 1, 2, 3, or even 4 IPs (depending on the number of guest users who visit your home at the same time).

(To do that, go to "Connection" page/ then to "DHCP" page)
Example put the range as:
Start: 10.0.0.100
End: 10.0.0.104
(Limited to 4 IPs as you can see)

Now you have to go to "Restrictions" (in "Firewall" page), and restrict all IPs except the static IPs you have chosen, and the 4 additional DHCP IPs.

Finally, go to "Quotas", and put quotas to all IPs you have not restricted. Now any guest user visits your home will be assigned a dynamic IP by your router, which will be one of the 4 DHCP IPs.... :D

wakeforce

Post by wakeforce »

Thank you very much for this method, it would definitely work.

Except that when I try to set a static IP, I see that the client is connected when looking at connected hosts on the connected hosts panel, but the client can't connect to the internet. The wireless is connected to the router, but can't acess the internet. Maybe I am not setting a static IPadress correctly? If you could help me on how to set-up a static ip adress, that would help me out a lot =)

Thank you again!

Gargoyle87

Post by Gargoyle87 »

Hello! I am glad that you find my method useful. :D

Actually, I am using this method in my home, but in fact I did not assign any static IP address using the router (I modified this method :D ).

What I did was narrowing the DHCP range to 4 IP addresses (so that at max only 4 guests can use my network at the same time)

Next, I used the "Restrictions" page, and restricted all IP addresses except the 4 DHCP IP addresses, and another additional 4 IP addresses which I have chosen outside the DHCP range (because I have 4 devices connected to the router at home).

Then I putted quotas to all IP addresses I have not restricted.

Finally, I assigned a static IP address to every device in my home through the device itself (using windows).

In details, I went to each computer I have at my home, then I clicked the "start" button, then "Settings", then "Network Connections", then left clicked the "Local Area Network", then "Properties", then I clicked "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and then clicked "Properties", then I assigned a static IP address to the computer (which is one of the non restricted IP addresses outside the DHCP range). I then did the same thing to all my home devices.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

When you are setting the static IP's - what are you setting?

You set Static IP, Subnet, and Gateway correct?

Gateway IP should be the IP of the router.
Also set the DNS entry 1 to the IP of the router.

Then you should be able to access internet.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The latest bleeding edge firmware (just uploaded) has a feature that helps to address this. There's now an option to set a quota on the combination of all hosts that don't have explicit quotas. The down-side is that this is for all of these other hosts combined, not for each individual host, which is a lot harder to implement (though it's something I'd like to have eventually).

Also, there's a new option to block any host with a MAC address assigned a static IP from connecting with any other IP than the one assigned. While it is, of course, still possible to clone MAC addresses this may make things a little harder for someone trying to get around quotas/restrictions applied to specific IPs.