Best router for range

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

alexT

Best router for range

Post by alexT »

Hello, my Linksys wrt1900ac router seems to have gone caput. I definitely want to stay with something that can use Gargoyle.
I need something with large range. I have a Wi-Fi security camera at end of my yard (about 70 yards away) and the wrt1900ac signal makes it that far but not strong enough for steady connection.
I saw this post from 2020 viewtopic.php?t=12548 recommending some models. What is a current favorite powerful router that I could install Gargoyle on without too much fuss?

alexT

Re: Best router for range

Post by alexT »

Hello, are these two routers compatible with Gargoyle?
TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 Smart WiFi Router
TP-Link AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router (Archer A20)
I can't find an up-to-date list of compatible routers. thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Nothing with AX capability
Nothing with Broadcom wifi chips (in general)

Both of those are out.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Range is a bit of a weird thing to target. There’s only so much power you can transmit at, and that is governed by the law in your area. Assuming your router does transmit at that absolute maximum, the only real difference you’re going to see is antennas being internal or external, and position of the device in your space.

I’m in a similar situation to you, I ended up just putting up a second access point and gave it an Ethernet backbone.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.