What's the best router for Gargoyle. lol.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

coastalcruiser

Re: What's the best router for Gargoyle. lol.

Post by coastalcruiser »

Got the router. It is a V2.

I did locate the fw for this router. Ran into a spot of trouble when first logging into the router. On the first page that offer you to automatically configure the router I hit automatic by mistake. That action produce this error message, and no matter how many times I hard reset the router (hold reset button for more than 10 seconds while powered on) I get the same message when logging on to 192.168.1.1.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Did you click the link in step 4?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

coastalcruiser

Post by coastalcruiser »

Yes. Brings you back to the same error page. The link seems to preclude the router has been reset.

I should add that I never get the status of the power LED staying solid after a successful hardware reset. The unit does not seem to be responding to the pressing of the reset button.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I recently sold mine so I can’t really assist in troubleshooting.
The only thing I can suggest is the power switch method to go to the alternate firmware (if it has one).

https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_ ... wer_switch

Otherwise Linksys support should offer you something.
I’m sure there’s a way to bypass this message or even SSH in and reset it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

oliver44

Post by oliver44 »

Power Switch

Power off router with power switch.

Turn power back on and Power LED will light.
As soon as all LEDs turn off (~2s), power off router with power switch

Turn power back on and allow router to fully boot.
It should now be booted to the alternate firmware partition (partitions)

after you manage to reset it and you have access to the web interface, you do the configuration manually after checking the license terms
wdr3600 rev1.4 OpenWrt
wrt1900ACS v.2 OpenWrt/DD-WRT
GL-MT6000 OpenWrt/Gargoyle

coastalcruiser

Post by coastalcruiser »

Thank you Oliver44. However, that technique did not work. Router still displays same error.

I think I have a unit that failed upon first boot. Although it powers up and responds to the ping command, the power LED never lights. And when the hardware reset button is depressed while continuously pinging the router, the router continues to respond to the ping without interruption.

I picked this unit up on Amazon so it is an ez return. Got one coming from eBay now.

oliver44

Post by oliver44 »

Unplug the power cord from the router and turn on the power button, then turn it off, then follow the procedure I told you again.

use ccleaner to clear the browser cache, use the waterfox browser, try to change the cable that connects the router to the pc
wdr3600 rev1.4 OpenWrt
wrt1900ACS v.2 OpenWrt/DD-WRT
GL-MT6000 OpenWrt/Gargoyle

coastalcruiser

Post by coastalcruiser »

oliver44 I tried all your tricks on this unit to no avail. Since the power LED NEVER lights up, at all, I am concluding its a hardware DOA (it was a new router). Weird because the port link light and the internet LED did light up, and I could access the web server. No worries, it came from Amazon so return will be ez.

Your boot-to-alternate-fw trick did come in handy though. I received a second unit from eBay. Along the way to putting Gargoyle on it I somehow screwed the pooch, and had to boot to the alt fw to recover. It worked, and the router is now running gargoyle.

Love how Linksys sort of made this product brick proof.

Cheers

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is very handy! Glad it is now up and running

coastalcruiser

Post by coastalcruiser »

Ha. I also noticed when returning the bad unit to Amazon that the box was labeled USED EXCELLENT CONDITION. Thought I had bought a new one.