What's the best router for Gargoyle. lol.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

coastalcruiser

What's the best router for Gargoyle. lol.

Post by coastalcruiser »

Sorry for the newbie question but I have been running Gargoyle for many years and still have this question. After bricking a router the first time installing Gargoyle I just started buying routers from the store here with Gargoyle pre-installed. I have bought many over the years (just ask Eric). The last router we bought from the store was a GL-AR150. It worked great, but when I went to purchase another one the store no longer was listing ANY routers for sale.

I just ran into the Achilles Heal of the GL-AR150. It only has a 100Mb port! Whaaaat?? We just got Starlink, and thus need 1000Mb connections throughout the network.

So it's time for an upgrade. Can anyone recommend a router that will easily install Gargoyle an handle 20-30 users on a 100Mb/s plus internet connection?

ispyisail

Re: What's the best router for Gargoyle. lol.

Post by ispyisail »

x86 might be your route?

Not fully supported though :(

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

Are you prepared to try experimental builds?

If so and you aren't trying to do anything too fancy, I've been happily running a GL-B1300 with the build available here but I only have 45Mbps internet - the device should handle 250+Mbps though from what I've read.

Starlink for most people seems to max out at about 300Mbps down at the moment; if you have or can get a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3B you might be able to get 150-200Mbps (limited by the 2/3B's USB bus) running the experimental build from here but you'd need an external AP as the WiFi isn't really suitable for use as an AP. The Pi 4B (again with external AP) would easily cope but that support is still to come. For up to about 300-400Mbps AXE88179 USB ethernet adapters are ok, but above that you need RTL8153 based USB adapters (e.g. TP-Link UE300).

denisr

Post by denisr »

I recommend the Linksys wrtac1900ac it is a beast and the wifi signal is excellent- 8-) 8-)

JohnPeterson

Post by JohnPeterson »

I agree on the linksys wrt1900ac - - - I'm a gargoyle advocate/agent - and will have 3 out there on the new 1.13 - by next week.. just bought another on ebay - quite reasonable

coastalcruiser

Post by coastalcruiser »

Thanks everyone. Just to fill in some more detail I will be happy with reaching 150Mb/s throughput. I have an old Ubiquiti "Bullet" wireless backbone that delivers internet to my client, and they are only good for 150Mb/s max. So the idea is to get all routers and switches up to 1000Mb/s so that some 100Mb/s like on my current gargoyle router isn't the weak link.

And I don't need wifi on the router. We already have a carefully placed set of APs that do that job. So my question about the Linksys wrtac1900ac is can the radio(s) be turned OFF? lol.

The GL-B1300 seems interesting but I need a sort of set-it-and-forget-it device at this point.

Again, thank you!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You can set the wifi to Disabled no problem.
The WRT1900ACS is more than powerful enough to handle those speeds, and if you're not worried about wifi then you're bypassing the one weak point of that series of devices (bad wireless drivers).

If you can get a good bargain second hand, it's a great buy.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

coastalcruiser

Post by coastalcruiser »

I just ordered this Linksys wrtac1900ac...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE ... UTF8&psc=1

One of the reasons I always ordered a gargoyle router from the store was to avoid the daunting choices of firmware to download (I don't like admitting that). If someone could link me to the correct FW for this model I would be eternally grateful.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Let’s wait until you get it in your hands.
It is 99% likely it will be a version 2, but you can confirm by looking at the label on the box or the bottom of the router.
The v1 and v2 take different firmware so don’t want to link the wrong one :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

coastalcruiser

Post by coastalcruiser »

Thank you! Back with you shortly.