The future of Gargoyle in 2022

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

oliver44

Re: The future of Gargoyle in 2022

Post by oliver44 »

Hello all,

First of all I want to thank you for keeping this firmware alive, but especially @Lantis who submits I suspect a great effort to keep this project alive, but his great achievement lately is the implementation of IPv6, I apologize because many times maybe I was a little insistent and of any time I was asking when ipv6 will be implemented and look it is implemented it today!
My major problem is that the performance of the wrt1900acs v2 router is slowing down, I use 1Gbps internet and it is frustrating to use this firmware and not enjoy by 1Gbps speed, it would be a big step if you could optimize this firmware so we will fully enjoy the resources of our router.

Until then, I'm testing this firmware and trying to help the community with a feedback! :D

Best regards,
wdr3600 rev1.4 OpenWrt
wrt1900ACS v.2 OpenWrt/DD-WRT
GL-MT6000 OpenWrt/Gargoyle

Tourist

Post by Tourist »

ispyisail wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:46 pm
The magic of Gargoyle is its intuitive and it just works.
A bit late to the discussion but I wanted to add my thanks to the guys that put this together and keep updating etc.

Also, @ispyisail comment is so accurate, but most people probably don't realise how good it really is. I spent a long time looking for a solution to
1) a slow internet shared by 4 people
2) kids that will use the internet and not do homework while bogging the download speed for everyone while watching minecraft videos.

With minimal effort from me these were easily resolved, and then I had some malicious fun prioritising my needs while still achieving good results for the whole household. All made simple thanks to the very good interface. (I can work my way through CLI, but this is so much easier)

Thanks again for what you do. It's a great router.

ViBE

Post by ViBE »

i swapped to Gargoyle around 1.6.0 as far as i remember. i had (and still have) a brick shaped TP-Link WR741ND router which is my first own router and i just realised how much i need remote access sometimes. but TP-Link and the commerce vendors offered very limited options even to use a popular DDNS service. so around 2014 i started to seek for solutions. i just realised that bunch of solutions out there and as a retarded tech hobbyst i just jumped in. i also tested OpenWRT and DD-WRT meanwhile but i stuck with Gargoyle.

it's open-source which is important for me since i understand the ideology. Linux is also important for me so it's an another bonding reason comparing with stock solutions. and the interface is clear not like OpenWRT and DD-WRT. it's well detailed while not confusing. it's my daily driver on a lots of devices. this is the only router related project what i support with random donates if i see any sign of life and continuity. when i need a router for any purposes i usually check if Gargoyle is available for it. not all my routers in use constantly but i have 6 and only 2 on stock firmware both Asus and not supported by Gargoyle sadly.

human resources are definitely an issue. there is no core community sadly, no such tests, no news. no experiences to spread. overall the project is not as known as it should be but i think the interest is not as bad and it can be better. also i tried several times to build on my own but i always have some dependency issues and usually i'm not sure how to fix those. i guess the tutorial is a bit outdated or not "desktop user friendly" and detailed. hell knows. so it's hard to go on even on my own if there are no clear infos or a handful community with enough spare time.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I updated the build guides quite recently, and I also posted docker recipes which should “just work”.
Give it another try and open a thread for help if you get stuck :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

ispyisail wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:27 am
@Lantis

Have you thought about building a reference x86 system for power users.

One of the problems with consumers routers is they change every 5 minutes
I have ordered a “mini firewall appliance” aka a mini PC with a bunch of LAN ports. It is completely overkill. It will absolutely route gigabit, I’m confident it will do that with bandwidth monitoring on, and I’m pretty hopeful it will still do it with QoS on.
If it ticks all those boxes, then I’ll be seeing what speed it will drive over WireGuard and OpenVPN.

All of that being said, a little more focus on making sure x86 works properly will follow. But, it will still be a custom build for most people. It just depends on what hardware you have.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

“mini firewall appliance”

Have you got a link to this device

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Lots of chatter on the openwrt forum: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/tips-for-ge ... s/104490/1

I specifically picked up this: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B09PHHMJJB

You can go much cheaper: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09L1C9H36
and probably cheaper again. That gives you an idea of the type of product anyway.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Have you checked what the wifi card is?

Its usually the main first problem.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’ve opted to go without wifi and use other Gargoyle routers as just dumb access points. In 1.15 I have it set up that they can all share information about clients to each other so it’s quite nice.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

excellent

It basically the same as the one I have, I broke the wifi antenna tabs taking the card out too often. Before I worked out there were not drivers in the x86 build :)