NAS

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

christopher123457

NAS

Post by christopher123457 »

Hi all,

I'm looking to set up a NAS for holding movies to be shared amongst a local network.

Can I get a link or rough how to on what goes on here?

Also, I am intending to run quotas and QOS by IP address range, will use of the NAS storage go against the quota? If so, how do I bypass that??

Edit:

Hardware: linksys wrt1900ac v1, running gargoyle 1.12

Thanks!

Lantis

Re: NAS

Post by Lantis »

A proper NAS or a drive attached to Gargoyle?
In either case, traffic isn't counted
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

christopher123457

Hey Lantis, you're a busy person with lots of info! I love it.

Tbh, Idk the different between a "proper NAS" and a drive local attached to gargoyle..

What I have is an 8tb hard drive I want to set up so people can type in an ip and watch the movies via local network, either by dragging to their personal comp or simply streaming them via the network.

Can you share a link or rough idea on how to do this? I'm happy reading through a lot, I have found learning about network building be a great pastime.

Thanks so much!

christopher123457

Hey Lantis,

I read up on NAS and I definitely want to go there. Do you have a recommendation for a 2-4 bay NAS? Would obviously like to stay in the lower end of price since this is only for personal use of movies and TV shows amongst friends.

I also learned how to attach my existing drive to the router for now, and I will report back once I get that going to let you know.

Thanks for the time!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I've done both, and it works OK attached to the router, but i got some instability and reboots eventually.
The proper kit for the job is a dedicated NAS, if you're serious about it.

I've only used Synology, and i have a DS418play which is a 4 bay. I've got it populated with 4x6TB drives with 1 drive redundancy.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

christopher123457

Okay, so I have attached the existing driving to the router, however, when I try to access it nothing shows up in the drive(there's a ton of data there, and it works fine plugged directly into the laptop). Then, when I try to access the drive again, I am unable to connect to it.

I am working from a Mac, if that's part of the issue I can bootcamp over to my windows side..I really don't want to have to do that though.

I'm not certain what's happening, and would love some assistance. Not sure where to start troubleshooting this.

Thanks!

christopher123457

Okay, gone through and tested this with multiple hard drives, and thumb drives, with no luck at being able to view existing files. I have even tried formatting a drive, with no success being able to access the drive.

I hope I'm missing something simple here XD

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can you show how you have it configured?

westapher317

Post by westapher317 »

christopher - similar to Lantis, I have two Synology DS218+ units running in different locations. Be careful with the newer Synology NAS units, however, because Synology has soldered in the OEM RAM chips, which limits your ability to upgrade to one SODIMM slot. This seems to apply to many of the x20 units and newer. It may or may not apply to the high-end units.

You may also be able to find some from the x18 series used. What's cool about these is that, with a little hardware disassembly/reassembly, you can upgrade the RAM all the way to 16GB ... although Synology doesn't support this and I think they say it voids the warranty (my warranties have expired anyway). If I were looking for a third Synology unit, I would probably try to find another DS218+ (the 418s, 718s, and 918s might also be options).

christopher123457

Hey Lantis, sorry for the late reply. I've been working a lot the past week.

Anyways, I finally got around to installing the new router and hard-drive with it.

I wound up setting it up as read only with anonymous access, and no custom users. Removing the customer user seemed to do the trick, it then popped up on the Mac and has run great ever since. I've even gotten it set up with my android phone now and have still not had any problems.

I figure if I need to edit the drive I will simply plug into it directly with my computer. Once this takes off, I'm going to convince the roommates to go in on an actual nas with me. For now I bought a back up drive and have the one in the router backed up

Thanks so much for the help.