Default QOS setup

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

seedy

Default QOS setup

Post by seedy »

I've been using Gargoyle for years, mostly because I've had ISPs that have a monthly download limit and want to monitor that. Gargoyle has always been great.

I now have a 100Mbps cable connection and I'd like to explore QOS. My concern is that my connection to work doesn't suffer if the rest of the house wants to stream, etc.

I reviewed this the QOS document on the wiki (can't post link in the forum) and to start I'd just like to enable QOS for upload/download and enable the default rules(example 2). I'm just not sure how to do that. Is it just clicking the box to enable QOS?

Do I just need to reread that doc, or is there something else that would help me? I've searched a bit, but I'm finding a lot of info that is beyond the basic level that I'm at.

Gargoyle Version:1.12.0
Model:TP-Link Archer C7 v2

Thank you.

Lantis

Re: Default QOS setup

Post by Lantis »

Tick enable on the download page, fill out your bandwidth (take note of the units), and then hit save. Wait until that is done and then another minute or so, and then do the same on the upload page.

This should enforce reasonably fair sharing from all devices. You may then find after experimenting that it's necessary to prioritise your work traffic or provide some minimum bandwidth guarantee.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ektus

Re: Default QOS setup

Post by ektus »

On a 100Mbit connection, are you really going to have it saturated by streaming? I'd let it run without QOS and see what happens first. The Archer might be on the slow side with QOS enabled, reducing the usable bandwidth because of lack of CPU power.