Is it possible to disable DCHP with new firmware?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Blebekblebek

Is it possible to disable DCHP with new firmware?

Post by Blebekblebek »

I'm still running older firmware 1.92 and 1.80 (WR1043ND & WR740N)

Both dhcp can't be disabled, well it can but after reboot it just turn the option back on, so is this bug getting resolve with new firmware?

Thx.

Lantis

Re: Is it possible to disable DCHP with new firmware?

Post by Lantis »

For the WR740N, no. That device won't be supported moving forward.

For the other device, can you please provide more details about how it is currently configured, and more details about DHCP turning back on?
Settings don't change over reboot unless your device storage is full.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Blebekblebek

Post by Blebekblebek »

Someone is reporting this issue back in 2017, and you also reply it.
viewtopic.php?t=11056

It's pretty similar, I have WR1043ND as router and DHCP server, and WR740 and WR740 is just for AP (running with openwrt as for now), I want to reverse it, WR740 as main, and WR1043ND as AP, unfortunately due to this I had to use openwrt to prevent double dhcp crash.

BTW this forum Forgot Password page is not working
app.php/user/forgot_password

Nothing here, forevermore,
Page not found: four-oh-four

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

I remember turning on the DHCP server again when changing and saving the page even if the DHCP server is turned off. This has already been (if I remember) fixed, but you will no longer find a fix for the WR740 due to outdated hardware (small FLASH memory). All I had to do was disable and save DHCP again on the settings page and hold the settings until the next setting, when I changed something, I repeated the process and it worked.
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... bd92f6cbaf

I don't know if it's reasonable to change the WR740 router instead of the WR1043 for reasons of fast WiFi or 1GB switch. As a main router, the WR1043 is a more suitable candidate because it has a stronger CPU and a processor is needed for load reasons due to NAT translation, bandwidth and other things. This type of router is also obsolete and unfortunately the CPU speed is not enough and the best starting point is to buy a new model with more memory and a more powerful CPU, such as Archer, Linksys, etc.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

So in that thread they mention that it turns back on when they save wireless settings. Definitely a bug I was aware of and has been fixed.
You were saying in this thread that it happens when the router reboots. Which would be completely different.

So if it's the first one, already fixed in the latest versions.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Blebekblebek

Post by Blebekblebek »

RomanHK wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
snip
WR740 definitely had no issue for 20mbps, I've downgraded my internet early this year. The fastest internet my ISP provide only 100mbps anyway.

I'll try it on MR3240 and see if the 1.10 works fine.