Wireless Bridge/Repeater router keeps disconnecting

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: Wireless Bridge/Repeater router keeps disconnecting

Post by Lantis »

:?: Repeating router must be the same channel. The configuration is invalid in any other way.

You will probably find that the channel is being overridden to the correct value anyway if you checked with a spectral scan.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ektus

Post by ektus »

alexT wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:10 pm
Related questions:

Repeater is broadcasting on a different SSID. Does that reduce reliability of the connection?
No, this shouldn't matter. But any router in bridge mode doubles the load on the wifi channel, and I've had routers crash under high load (not Gargoyle, though).
alexT wrote:
Would it help if the channel is different? Right now Router 1 is channel 11. Repeating router is set at 6.
The repeating router will and must use the same channel as the master, as it's got to talk to that one on this channel.
alexT wrote:
Repeater does not repeat the guest SSDI's of Router 1. So is there a way to create guest networks on Router 2 (the repeating router)?
Not that I know of. At least not from the GUI.

It would be possible to have a second client router repeat the guest network.

alexT

Post by alexT »

Hello, thanks for all the info.
I'm wondering if in my Repeater setup, what exactly is the definition "Wan Ethernet Port:" and whether I should disable it. The other option is "Bridge to LAN". Which would give me a more solid connection. My repeater disconnects frequently.

https://nimb.ws/VnCFP0

ektus

Post by ektus »

Those both relate to the ethernet port designated "WAN" at the back of the router. In Bridge mode, this port isn't used and may be re-purposed as additional LAN port.