Gargoyle on the Edgerouter X

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

JT02

Gargoyle on the Edgerouter X

Post by JT02 »

Hello. I'd really like to try out the gargoyle firmware for gaming, it seems to have a lot of useful features. I currently have an Ubiquiti ER-X that I'd like to flash it on, I currently have openwrt on it (19.07.4).

How do I flash gargoyle on it? Do I have to do it through command line or can I load it through the GUI? I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things and it took me a while to figure out how to put openwrt on it so any easy guide would be appreciated.

I do recall I had to load a "initramfs" file first to get openwrt on it, then scp over a sysupgrade file and used a command to upgrade it. Do I need to do that again with the gargoyle initramfs or would i just have to scp over "gargoyle_1.12.0-ramips-mt7621-ubnt-erx-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar" and run the sysupgrade -n -v command?

If I'd like to go back to openwrt is it as simple as repeating these steps (scp the sysupgrade and running it or can i do it through GUI cause they're both openwrt based?)

I came across an old post from Lantis mentioning anything without wifi wont work well. Does this still apply/can someone elaborate what won't work well? the ER-X is just a router, no wifi.

Thank you!

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle on the Edgerouter X

Post by Lantis »

Both being OpenWrt based, you should be able to just sysupgrade via the GUI (making sure to not preserve settings).
However, the compatibility markers for your device may not be up to date in Gargoyle, so it may complain that you can't upgrade and would need to force flash. As long as you are certain you have downloaded the correct image, this shouldn't be a problem.

Same process for going back to OpenWrt if you don't like it.

I haven't tested a non-wifi router in a long time, but in theory it will work ok.
I would run the latest 1.12.x (or 1.13.x if you're brave)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.