Best wifi gargoyle Router

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

DevinSmithz

Re: Best wifi gargoyle Router

Post by DevinSmithz »

I would suggest getting something that has third-party firmware (DD-WRT, OpenWRT or Tomato) available. Reason being, the OEM firmware is often poor and slow to receive security patches.

I’ve been happy enough with my Netgear R6400 as it’s able to stream games from my PC to a nvidia Shield TV in the room next door. Fortunately it has plenty of third-party firmware available, as Netgear were slow to respond to a security issue last year (though they’re not alone on this front).

alexT

Post by alexT »

Hello, by "horse power" do you mean transmission power?
My linksys WRT1900AC does not have very good coverage.
I've been looking at tp-link c7 suggested by @ispyisail.
Would that give better coverage? Or is there a more powerful Gargoyle router that can blast through walls?

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

alexT wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:04 am
Hello, by "horse power" do you mean transmission power?
My linksys WRT1900AC does not have very good coverage.
I've been looking at tp-link c7 suggested by @ispyisail.
Would that give better coverage? Or is there a more powerful Gargoyle router that can blast through walls?
I have the WRT1900ACS and WRT1200AC and they have the best 5GHz coverage out of all routers that I've had, including the Archer C7. Penetrates a few walls in a two story home from one end to the opposite end.

The Archer is a great, reliable, affordable router, but its CPU is not the strongest if using QoS with higher download speeds.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.