Gargoyle Router for Gigabit symmetric FTTH connexion?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

cr1cr1

Gargoyle Router for Gigabit symmetric FTTH connexion?

Post by cr1cr1 »

Hi,
I just upgraded my ISP and moved from a 10Mbps D/L - 0.8Mbps U/L DSL link to a symmetric 1Gbps Fiber connexion.
So my good old WNDR3700v2 running Gargoyle has become the bottleneck

First, will everything enabled (bandwidth monitor, internet usage, QoS) it was limiting the bandwidth to 60 Mb/s. Switching off the bandwidth monitor (/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle stop ), the QoS, and Internet Usage boosted the throughput to 120 / 160 Mbps.

Now I need a new router! I'd like to be able to monitor bw and manage the QoS, remove ads, manage web usage and set up a VPN... as well as getting the full 1Gb/s throughput. Is this even possible?

What would be the best router recommendation? I've seen those models:
- TP-Link Archer C7
- NETGEAR WAC124-100PES
- Linksys WRT1900ACS

Is the price tag of the last one worth it? What about the Linksys WRT3200ACM? Any other good recommendation?

Thanks!

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle Router for Gigabit symmetric FTTH connexion?

Post by Lantis »

At those speeds you're going to have to go custom x86 (i.e. a mini PC).

You probably won't be able to do full line speed through OpenVPN. It's too computationally intensive. Maybe 200mbps?
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/comparative ... nvpn/44724
OpenWrt thread on various performance numbers. None of these look at the influence of QoS, which I think will only do around 500 symmetrical on mvebu.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

cr1cr1

Post by cr1cr1 »

Thanks again @Lantis, the article you pointed learned me a lot.
I understood that maybe QoS is useless with such a high bandwidth and modern Smart Queue Management algorithms.

I'll clarify my question on two points then :
- I do not need the full bandwidth with OpenVNP. I just implemented it with my WNDRD3700v2 and it is even enough for basic things such as streaming 1080p movies through the VPN! So I'm sure a more modern / powerful proc will be well enough.
- As said earlier, QoS may be useless with newer queue management, right? So I'll target a device powerfull enough to manage less than 10 NAT, visualize the bandwidth / manage web access / remove ads and without talking about VPN, still be able to manage gigabit flows.

I also started to look at high-end WiFi 6 devices but:
1/ they are quite pricey today
2/ I maybe just need WiFi6 Access Points as I have cabled my house everywhere...
2/ I believe there is no Gargoyle support now or soon, right?
3/ When I looked at their stock firmware abilities... I cried ;-)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

As soon as there's a cheap enough AX device I'll look at gargoyle support.
The other thing to note is that most AX hardware is currently unsupportable due to Broadcom chipsets.
Qualcomm 807x is the chips to watch for.

Having them as seperate APs though would be just fine.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

cr1cr1

Post by cr1cr1 »

Hi @Lantis & all,
If I consider buying a used Linksys WRT3200ACM.
Is this a good candidate? It seems so according to the previous performance review link.
Its processor (88W8964 SoC, right?) seems to reach the maximum theroritical 1Gbps throughput (940Mbps with TCP) with SQM.
Would it be more or less the same with bandwidth management?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

In my previous testing, in a single direction with bwmon on it should get >= 800mbps.
With QoS on, for a single stream it may not surpass 300mbps. Aggregate speed may be higher, but i don't know i've never tested beyond a single stream.

cr1cr1

Post by cr1cr1 »

OK Thanks ! I'll accept 800mb for some visibility on my traffic.
As I wrote earlier, I believe that QoS is less needed with such bandwidth associated with SQM.

On top of that, I'm studying moving from OpenVPN to WireGuard as it seems way less ressource consuming. And anyway, in 99% of my use cases, my client bandwidth will be the bottleneck compared to the router's VPN server.

I hope Gargoyle is as stable on the WRT3200ACM as it was on my WNDR3700v2! I do not care too much about the WiFi potential issues... I have workarounds.

PS.: I also studied the Ubiquiti ecosystem that looks good. But then I would want to move everything to their UniFi / proprietary eco system... And I love Gargoyle ;-)

PS.2 : Can Offloading be enabled for that kind of router on Gargoyle? I presume yes as it relies on OpenWRT.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It can be enabled, but it will disable all gargoyle features in a not very graceful way.
It isn't a supported configuration.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I've been using the 32X at work for over 12 months now

very stable

cr1cr1

Post by cr1cr1 »

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm currently installing Gargoyle on my brand [old like new] WRT3200ACM.
Just tested the original FW throughput with iperf3 : 900Mbps.
Btw, the firmware is ugly!
I look forward to having Gargoyle up & running on it... DONE!

Good news: Gargoyle stock FW 1.12 config iPerf3 : 909Mbps U/L / 940Mbps D/L ;-)