Dnsmasq for local hosts

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

vyvvyan

Dnsmasq for local hosts

Post by vyvvyan »

Hi,

Feel free to point me at existing posts on this subject matter, but I did a search and didn't find a relevant question/topic. I'm looking to add all my local host names into dnsmasq on Gargoyle 1.12.0. I understand the syntax of what I need to add, but I am not sure where to add it. /etc/dnsmasq.conf seems to only have commented-out lines in it, and the runtime dnsmasq is pointing to a different file (/var/etc/dnsmasq.conf.cfg01411c).
Do I just edit the latter, or is there something special I need to do to the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file to create the right /my.server.lan/192.168.x.y entries?

RomanHK

Re: Dnsmasq for local hosts

Post by RomanHK »

vyvvyan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:20 pm
Hi,

Feel free to point me at existing posts on this subject matter, but I did a search and didn't find a relevant question/topic. I'm looking to add all my local host names into dnsmasq on Gargoyle 1.12.0. I understand the syntax of what I need to add, but I am not sure where to add it. /etc/dnsmasq.conf seems to only have commented-out lines in it, and the runtime dnsmasq is pointing to a different file (/var/etc/dnsmasq.conf.cfg01411c).
Do I just edit the latter, or is there something special I need to do to the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file to create the right /my.server.lan/192.168.x.y entries?
Gargoyle uses the files /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers for static leases and for local names.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

vyvvyan

Post by vyvvyan »

Thanks.

Does that allow passing on the hosts file contents to any connected host? So with the my.server.lan definition as in my original question, would any laptop I connect on my network be able to use my.server.lan instead of the IP address?

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

vyvvyan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 pm
Thanks.

Does that allow passing on the hosts file contents to any connected host? So with the my.server.lan definition as in my original question, would any laptop I connect on my network be able to use my.server.lan instead of the IP address?
The correct format should be:

Code: Select all

address=/my.server.lan/192.168.x.y
then yes.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Just use the gargoyle DHCP GUI section and set this up. No need to stuff around in the back end.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Lantis wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:15 pm
Just use the gargoyle DHCP GUI section and set this up. No need to stuff around in the back end.
I was thinking this also.......