CPU load and memory usage confusion

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

guyso

CPU load and memory usage confusion

Post by guyso »

Hi
As I have a lot of time on my hands at present due to Corona Virus, I thought I would ask a question which has been on my mind for some time.

Following is a copy of my Gargoyle Status page. I notice the CPU load nearly always sits at "0". It does go up slightly if I change settings or similar, though not much and settles back to "0" quickly. I believe fully loaded is "1" and I also believe it can go beyond "1" if things queue up. Strangely the CPU load also does not seem to change if the router internet load is almost zero or if our link is loaded to its 50Mbps maximum. To me it seems with a household running intense internet the CPU usage would be above "0"?

Second, the memory usage almost never changes significantly from what's shown. Even when I ticked the box to Save High Resolution 15 minute time frame data for all hosts, the memory usage did not change. What's more the percentage seems similar to what it was when I was using a router with significantly less memory. Surely saving high resolution data for everyone would use more memory?

I have looked for answers to these questions, unsuccessfully. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Thank you all.

Device Name:Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:1.12.0
Model:Linksys WRT1900ACS
Device Configuration:Gateway
Memory Usage:47MB / 498.9MB (9.4%)
Connections:348/4096
CPU Load Averages:0.00 / 0.00 / 0.00 (1/5/15 minutes)
CPU Temperature:60 °C
RAM Temperature:32 °C
Wifi Temperature:30 °C
Netgear WNDR3700 v1 and v2 and v4
Linksys WRT1900ACS

ispyisail

Re: CPU load and memory usage confusion

Post by ispyisail »

internet load is almost zero or if our link is loaded to its 50Mbps maximum
you router is in idle

its overkill for your network speed

https://www.tecmint.com/understand-linu ... rformance/

Lantis

Re: CPU load and memory usage confusion

Post by Lantis »

If you loaded OpenVPN and Tor at the same time, you'd find both metrics increase.
If you copy a file to /tmp, you'll see the memory usage go up as well (as /tmp is mapped to RAM).

But as stated, your router is plenty powerful for your connection, so you're not going to see it break a sweat often.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.